Skip to main content

Sewy bra Rebecca finished

The Rebecca bra is (as good as finished), and the fit is great. I'm amazed, as for the Linda bra I made earlier I had to change so much when making it a second time. But this one is right the first time!
It's not perfect with the folds it has. As mentioned in my review on PR too, I believe this is caused by the lycra I used, which has a lot of stretch.











A few details on construction:

Measuring the elastic: I used 20% decrease on the length of the elastic, because of the stretch of my lycra, and prior experience/preference. The pattern mentioned 5% or 10%. In the picture below you can see that I write the original seam length, the percentage decrease and the final elastic length on the pattern. Easy for using again.












Side panel: there is a seam in the side panel, This seam could easily be used to add boning, to give the bra extra strength. You see this in RTW bra's, but it is not included in the instructions for this bra.
















Shoulder straps
: the instructions add the shoulderstraps early in the construction process. This could surely be done, but I did it my way, and it was the last thing I did.
I sewed the shoulder strap to the cup with a straigh stitch (right sides together), then opened the seam and topstitched on both sides.

Comments

  1. Wow! That is amazing! I am always in awe of people who make their own bras and panties. Are you going to make more?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.



Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Pants fitting, part 1

First, I'd like to thank all who commented on the fitting issues for my pants. I did look at Debbie's site and somehow thought it would not be the "one" answer to my problem, as I've become convinced that there is no one-step solution for me. But I think I have found part of the solution there. Tonight I spent adapting my pattern and making a muslin.






My starting point, after reading all the information was the Threads issue of January 2006, an article by Joyce Murphy Adjusting pants from waist to seat. In this article she describes "body space" as an important point in fitting pants. And it does make sense to me, as women have very different shapes. One needs more space in the front, and others (like me) more in the back.
The picture above shows the body space in my pattern, which is 15 cm. I tried to measure my own bodyspace by taking two rulers, and it is 19 cm, which means that 2 cm more is needed (half of the extra width in the pattern). The article d…