Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from July, 2017

Burda dress 119, changes to pattern and construction

There were a few changes I made to the pattern prior to and during construction. For those of you interested in the details, this is what I did.As indicated in the first post on this dress last week, I lengthened the upper body by 1.5 inch. This isn’t hard to do: fold the pleat on the right pattern piece, match it with the placement line on the left pattern piece and you have a full front in which it’s easy to draw a line to lengthen (or shorten) it. I did this just below the armhole. After that the seamlines, diagonal fold and placement lineslines are trued again. Of course this change of length is to be done on the back pattern piece too.
This is not an error in the pattern piece. I know my upper body is longer than average and it’s a change I always do in Burda patterns.The other change was cutting off the extra triangle pieces that are on the right side pattern pieces for the top, skirt and waist part. Initially I cut them and understood what the intention was, an extra pleat abov…

It’s not August yet…

and I finished my first dress from the August issue of Burda. I’m quite happy with how this dress fits and how it looks on me. The most visible change to the pattern is the neckline. The original neckline was very high and it felt like it was choking me. I didn’t want to disturb the pleat and widened it just a bit but went 4-5 cm down in center front. I did a few pattern and construction alterations and will write a separate post on that later this week.

Starting to sew from August Burda

I didn’t keep to my pledge of sewing something from a (new) Burda magazine each month. There were two skirts I forgot to blog about, but even if I count these, there are no 6 or 7 garments from Burda magazines sewn by me this year . The August issue could change the numbers. It’s a great issue with quite a few patterns I’d like to make. After seeing previews and especially after seeing some pictures shared by a friend with a subscription, I stalked the newsagent for this issue. It started with a little disappointment that the jacket I like so much is in the petite size range. Perhaps I will draft the details in my jacket pattern at some point, but not now. I have a nice event to go to next week and thought it might be nice to sew a new dress for the occasion. This is the pattern I’m using, number 119:Not a very straightforward dress to sew. After tracing the pattern pieces the first thing I did was trying to “assemble” the paper pieces, based on the instructions and common sewing sens…

StyleArc Evie top

At StyleArc’s site this is simply described as Knit tank top with a shaped hemline. I would add that is has some flare. I made my second version this week. I added a little bit to the flare.This is the first one I made, shown as work in progress a few weeks ago. It’s still the only picture I have of it, but it’s been worn and washed several times already (it is hemmed and topstitched after this photo was taken).Being such an easy to wear style on warmer summer days I made another one, in a fabric with a print this time. In the past I’ve had some problems getting at ease with my coverstitch machine, but we’re working well together now. I’m very happy with the finishing details.Inside of the neckline. There was a tan coloured thread on my serger, the black is from the coverstitch.The hem, done as I described in this post. Basting it first makes it take 10 minutes extra, but so worth it. The cutting line is enclosed by the stitches.