Skip to main content


Showing posts from October, 2012


I’ve been away on quite a few trips lately and the past few days I spent in Paris with a friend who is staying there for a month. We walked a lot and as we both have been to Paris more than once before, we didn’t do the regular tourist visit, except for the visit to the Musée d’Orsay, a beautiful building itself. It’s an old train station. We visited the temporary exhibition “Impressionism and fashion”. The two pictures here are from the website of the museum. Taking photos at the exhibition was not allowed. I loved the way exhibit was organized with a general introduction and separate rooms for “women at home”, “artists and men of the world”, “enjoying the open air”.  There was one display of a pattern. Unfortunately it figured in the background of other items and it couldn’t be seen completely. I would have liked a copy of that pattern to see what it really was and how it went together. Some construction indications (letters) were given so that you could see which parts had to be se…

Twist top–Knip mode

The twist top is regularly seen since (I think) the famous Burda twist top from 2004. Some don’t like a twist top anymore, but October Knip mode issue showed an asymmetrical version that I quite liked. This time a few clear pictures in the magazine as well . And I needed them to get my head round the construction. It was not the twist itself that gave me problems, but the way the upper part was folded to the right side of the top.It will have been me, but it took me several times pinning the side seam till it was right and I could sew it. I changed the order of construction a bit so that I could insert the sleeves flat  and sew the sleeve and side seam in one pass. Sometimes the easy things prove to be more difficult than you think. On the Knip mode site there are instructions for making this and there are some good and some bad points:There are actual photos, using (partially) different colored fabrics (positive). One of the fabrics used was a black polka dot fabric, and we all know …

UK weekend

This weekend I was together with 9 sewing friends in the UK. It was such a WONDERFUL weekend. I can’t say it in the way Pauline has done it, but her post says it all. So I’ll share some photos, mostly nice to see for those who were there probably. If you’ve never done something like this: do it, organize a weekend with sewing friends and fun is guaranteed. View from the cottage we were in:Lots of fabric/magazines everywhere and even machines in window sills waiting to be used. Vivien and Pauline fitting muslinClareSheilaHildeMarta and Pauline with one of the shirts Pauline made JoanaSamira, not happy with her ugly fabric (she “stole” mine and graciously gave me a part of it afterwards) Aliisa

Knip mode dress

Can someone explain why photos in magazines often seem to hide the main feature of a pattern? This dress for example, from the March 2012 issue of Knip mode. The main feature is the crossover at center front and it’s completely hidden by the necklace and hands of the model.

Look at the line drawing. Quite a nice pattern.

It was the line drawing that convinced me to try this pattern. I used fabric that I bought in the UK on my last trip visiting Pauline. Who already made other outfits of the same kind of fabric in different prints.  It’s a very nice knit, good drape, easy to wear.
This print was used in another color scheme in rtw dresses for prices up to 100 uk pounds. Nice to know my dress only costs 15.

A quick and easy dress. I’m wearing it today and it feels very good. It would have been a tiny bit better with two back darts, I might add them.

Jacket construction–part 5–Finished

In my last post I showed pictures of the body of the jacket without sleeves.  Inserting the sleeves with this fabric was no problem. The extra ease in the sleevecap was easy to distribute in the armscyce. The first picture shows the extra fabric that is eased. In the next picture I have cut little pieces out of the seam allowance to smooth the sleevecap. The lower part is sewn twice between the notches with a little space in between, then the seam allowance is trimmed only between the notches on the lower part of the armscyce.The sleevehead is made of a 5 cm wide (2 inch) strip of fabric. Time to clean out my sewing room properly, as there must be some special fabric I use for this, but I couldn’t find it, and I looked hard. This works well though.Now the main jacket was ready. Time for the lining. I used an off-white silk fabric that I bought in New York two years ago during a lovely meeting with Nancy K, Robin and Meg. The outer fabric has silk in it as well, so thought this was a g…