Skip to main content

Another bra

I'm trying the new Sewy bra pattern at the moment and am very impressed by the way this bra is finished on the inside, working along the instructions given. Of course I do change a few things here and there, but the instructions are overall very clear. The only mindor dislike is that you see a partially stitched seam in the illustration, where they mean that the whole seam must be sewn. This was a bit confusing at first, but now it's clear, no problem any more.

This pattern is designed especially for non-stretch fabrics and for the larger cup sizes (if I remember well there are 4 size-groups to choose from, and my D75 is in the first group). The cups are therefore interfaced. You sew the cup-parts in 3 layers on each other, folding them back gives a very neat finishing on the inside. This you can see in the last picture.

The instructions tell you to do the following in two steps, stitching twice. I did it in one go.

The lower cup facing is pinned to the wrong side of the upper cup, then you pin the right side of the lower cup to the right side of the upper cup and stitch the seam.
Then trim the seam allowance, fold facing and lower cup together and topstitch.

















These are pictures from the outside and the inside of the cups.


Comments

  1. Bra sewing seems like such a mystery to me. You do it beautifully and de-mystify at the same time! Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygosh are the pieces of that bra beautiful! I have never wanted to make a bra but your fabrics make me want one, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigrid what bra pattern did you use? Your bra looks like two bras I puchased at $82.oo each.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.



Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Pants fitting, part 1

First, I'd like to thank all who commented on the fitting issues for my pants. I did look at Debbie's site and somehow thought it would not be the "one" answer to my problem, as I've become convinced that there is no one-step solution for me. But I think I have found part of the solution there. Tonight I spent adapting my pattern and making a muslin.






My starting point, after reading all the information was the Threads issue of January 2006, an article by Joyce Murphy Adjusting pants from waist to seat. In this article she describes "body space" as an important point in fitting pants. And it does make sense to me, as women have very different shapes. One needs more space in the front, and others (like me) more in the back.
The picture above shows the body space in my pattern, which is 15 cm. I tried to measure my own bodyspace by taking two rulers, and it is 19 cm, which means that 2 cm more is needed (half of the extra width in the pattern). The article d…