Skip to main content

Stripes :-) or :-(

My serger is not yet repaired, pity, as there are some things I want to finish. And I'm so used to sew or finish clothes with my serger, that I'll wait till it is back.

And as it is more like autumn here in Europe than summer (fierce storms, flooding because of continuous rain and a temperature that makes you think winter is coming), I started with a blouse with long sleeves! It is a beautiful quality cotton with stripes bought online from a German store, Exclusive Stoffe. I certainly like these stripes, but as I'm a bit (too?) precise about cutting stripes, it took me a long time to cut it.

First issue: the stripes are not symmetrical. The pattern did not require pattern pieces on the fold, so I cut the fabric in half, turned and layed them so that the pattern pieces will be symmetrical (just because I liked to, really not necessary).

Second issue: you can not cut the fabric in two layers at once, if you want the stripes to match. I more or less laid the fabric with the same stripes on each other, but know that this never workes over 2 meters of fabric.
I cut the first fabric layer, then re-pin all pattern pieces so that the stripes match and cut the second layer of fabric. It is the moment that I'm always thinking that I should stick to plain fabric, flowers or anything not requiring matching fabric. But I'm uncurable, more stripes in the stash for this autumn!

Now all pattern pieces have to be marked, which again takes extra time with securing the stripes. I'll do that tomorrow, using copier papier as described in an earlier post.
Below two pictures of the process: 1. after cutting the first layer, 2.

Comments

  1. This is why I don't have plaid pants. Even though I loooove plaid, double cutting I hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh... but looking at your striped Burda top, the results are sewwww worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stripes are worth the work! I love your fabric.

    I just did a pair of striped pants and I'm very happy with them. I have many, many striped fabrics to work on. Hmmm better get busy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.



Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Pants fitting, part 1

First, I'd like to thank all who commented on the fitting issues for my pants. I did look at Debbie's site and somehow thought it would not be the "one" answer to my problem, as I've become convinced that there is no one-step solution for me. But I think I have found part of the solution there. Tonight I spent adapting my pattern and making a muslin.






My starting point, after reading all the information was the Threads issue of January 2006, an article by Joyce Murphy Adjusting pants from waist to seat. In this article she describes "body space" as an important point in fitting pants. And it does make sense to me, as women have very different shapes. One needs more space in the front, and others (like me) more in the back.
The picture above shows the body space in my pattern, which is 15 cm. I tried to measure my own bodyspace by taking two rulers, and it is 19 cm, which means that 2 cm more is needed (half of the extra width in the pattern). The article d…