Skip to main content

Shorts likely to be a wadder

I'm not very lucky making my holiday shorts. Yesterday evening I wanted to make the most part of it, but got stuck in zipper closing.

First I made the fly-front zipper with the Sandra Betzina method, which is very easy. But after topstitching, I saw that the facing was not wide enough, thus the facing was not stitched. Did not check that obviously. And I already had stitched a part of the pocket lining when I sewed a zigzag stitch at the bottom of the topstitching. I just cut it out, this is not a high profile project anyway. No one will see the clip in the pocket seam :-).

But then the construction for the facing waistband . I confess that I thougth that it would be clear how to do this when I was ready for it, as the Burda instructions are totally incomprehensible here. But I got stuck. Just don't understand how it should be constructed.

No luck with these shorts. As this is only a cheap piece of fabric from my stash, I'll find another pattern and throw away this one.
I guess it says something that I did not find a review for these pants/shorts on PR.


  1. Grrr.. After seeing your great zipper job, I feel your pain from having to toss. How about adding some muslin extensions to the fly? They're such cute shorts, I'm cheering for renewed clarity on the waistband!


Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).