Skip to main content

I did it / Gelukt

English Nederlands

One of the things I wanted to do better this year is the collar with stand (remember my last blouse, I needed three stands to get it right!)
The BWOF blouse I'm making has a collar with stand, so I thought to try the methode described by David Coffin in his book Shirt Making. But not on the blouse right away. I had enough fabric to cut the top of the blouse and collar/stand parts from the linen I'm using and try first.

This is the result. I managed to get the collar with the wrong side up, but that's a good experience on a testing piece ;-) For the rest I'm really positive on this experience.
I've used contrasting thread and black (!) interfacing, as I took pictures during construction. All white is so difficult to see. In the next post I'll describe the way I did this.

Q/A: Cidell asked me about the pleats: when making pleats you lay the lines of the pleats on each other and stitch on the line. Then you press them in the direction of the arrow indicated on the pattern. In this case there are no arrows, as the pleats are more tucks than real pleats.
If I would make the sleeve for this blouse again, I would only mark the center of the small pleat, fold on that and make an edgestitch from the fold.

Een van de dingen die ik dit jaar wilde doen, was leren een betere kraag met staander te maken (voor mijn laatste bloes, heb ik de staander drie keer over gedaan, voordat die naar m'n zin was)
De Burda bloes die ik aan het maken ben, heeft zo'n kraag met staander, daarom wilde ik de methode die David Coffin in zijn boek Shirt Making beschrijft uitproberen. Maar niet direct op de bloes zelf. Ik had genoeg stof om de bovenkant van de bloes en de kraag/staanderdelen opnieuw uit te knippen en voor deze test te gebruiken.

Dit is het resultaat. Ik het het voor elkaar gekregen de kraag zelf verkeerd om in te zetten, maar dat is beter op dit teststuk, dan op de echte bloes. Verder ben ik er positief over.
Ik heb contrasterend garen en zwart (!) vlieseline gebruikt, zodat ik met foto's kan laten zien hoe ik dit gedaan heb. Alleen wit is zo onduidelijk op foto's. In m'n volgende post daar meer over.

Comments

  1. Lately the processes that everyone is posting on their blogs is causing me to want to "up my sewing game!" The fact that you took the time to make such a wonderful sample is encouraging to me. Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Shirt Making book, it's wonderful! Your sample looks quite good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses. If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one. Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching the si…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).