Skip to main content

Where to start

A few things to share.

1. Answer to question:
Nancy asked me a question in the comments section on the use of Power mesh in the side panel of a bra. I sent her a personal reply, but think this might be of interest to others too. This is a copy of the reply on the subject of Power mesh:

For the sides I just use lycra when it is not too thin. Another method (besides the power mesh you mention, which is hard to get here too) I saw mentioned (but did not try myself) is taking two layers of lycra, with the stretch of one layer different from the other.
I've tried the two layers of lycra with the same stretch direction in the latest bra I made for the undercup (the blue one I posted). This was a new technique for me, and worked wonderful.
Another thing I've done in the past is using tule (a thin, stretch type) as under layer. Remember the side panel needs stretch to close the bra properly.

2. A first picture of my Marfy coat.

Steady progress on this one, but it takes a huge amount of time. I do not keep record of the time I'm sewing on this (don't get paid for these hours anyway!) The pocket is stitched on top of the coat, so welts were needed, but not the pocket part you usually add to them. For a clean finish I used lining fabric, and cut the welt-opening. Then handstitched the opening. What you see is the back of the topstitching. After making the lining for the pocket I decided I didn't like my first topstitching, so I took it out and topstitched again.

3. Some inspiration!
What do you think of these drawings. A great inspiration source for pattern drafting. I once (>15 years ago) took a course in pattern drafting and since then I have these great drawings. Someone copied this for me. It's almost 1000 (thousand) pages, and on each page are four drawings for skirts/pants or just details for necklines, cufs etc. Should try some day to really draft such a detail.

That was a lot of posts of me this week, now I'm very quickly going back to my real work (without leaving my chair!).


  1. Hi Sigrid! Thank you for your comment on my blog - it allowed me to visit yours and I'll be back to look at your projects :)
    To answer your question, I didn't lengthen the bolero. There is another 1027 Onion bolero made up on patternreview, but she didn't add the flounce, and that is what makes the bolero look so much longer.
    The front and back pattern pieces are the same for all three views - the only thing that changes for view C is that you will add the flounce to the basic pattern.
    Hope this helps.

  2. The coat is coming along beautifully! I love to look at things like those drawings - they provide so much inspiration and many ideas!


Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.

Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Pants fitting, part 1

First, I'd like to thank all who commented on the fitting issues for my pants. I did look at Debbie's site and somehow thought it would not be the "one" answer to my problem, as I've become convinced that there is no one-step solution for me. But I think I have found part of the solution there. Tonight I spent adapting my pattern and making a muslin.

My starting point, after reading all the information was the Threads issue of January 2006, an article by Joyce Murphy Adjusting pants from waist to seat. In this article she describes "body space" as an important point in fitting pants. And it does make sense to me, as women have very different shapes. One needs more space in the front, and others (like me) more in the back.
The picture above shows the body space in my pattern, which is 15 cm. I tried to measure my own bodyspace by taking two rulers, and it is 19 cm, which means that 2 cm more is needed (half of the extra width in the pattern). The article d…