Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Sewing books

When I started again sewing seriously for myself last year I started to buy sewing books . In English, as in Dutch there are only basic sewing books. I do have the Knip book, and it's fine, but it doesn't tell you about advanced techniques, like inserting a sleeve head, or adjusting a pattern for example, or the little tricks for doing something.

A great inspiration was Power Sewing by Sandra Betzina. Great instructions for so many things that make your self-made clothes look better. I only wish that some pictures were clearer, as imho a print or dark fabric don't show very well in pictures with instructions, and in a book I expect that is taken into account. Fast fit by her is also great for adjusting patterns.

When Carolyn posted on her ten favorite sewing books I was triggered to find the book Decorative dressmaking which she mentioned and to find a few other books on my wish list.
I found the dressmaking book which really is a source of inspiration (thanks Carolyn).

The two other books I ordered were more about techniques and up till now I'm impressed by Claire Shaeffers book. So much details, and a great help with drawing the lining pattern for my coat.
The book by Susan Huxley must still proof itself to me, I lost my way in the bound button holes instructions, so I did not use those, but other instructions seem fine.



















This Burda book I still use regularly (it's a Dutch translation from a German original), I bought it in 1983, so it does not include new techniques as serging or working with knits and the pictures are really old-fashioned, but that's not important. For my coat I used the bound button hole technique from this book. The technique in Claire Shaeffers book was fine too.

I find it very helpful to have a few reference books near my sewing machine, and sometimes I just browse through them, as you easily forget

3 comments:

  1. I have the Claire Schaeffer one. While I don't use it religiously, it is a good reference and I thumb through it every now and again and glean ideas for sewing better or things I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you like the Decorative Dressmaking book! I have a few of the others that you mentioned...gosh I have quite a few others! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the high Fashion Sewing Secrets, and I refer to it all the time...

    ReplyDelete

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!