Sunday, June 10, 2007

Vintage /OOP patterns



Recently I bought 2 vintage patterns on E-bay. One is the Ralph Lauren top of 1986 that I just completed. The other the Anne Klein dress from the nineties above that will be one of my next projects (view A).

I never bought a vintage pattern before (and the 80’s don’t sound very vintage to me, when do you call a pattern vintage?), but this top appealed to me because it reminded me of the Burda top with similar shoulders that I made a few weeks ago.

The reason for searching on e-bay for a vintage/out of print pattern was that some time ago my mother found an envelope with an old pattern in it that was mine. I had lent it to her (must be over 20 years ago) and now I have it back. I had totally forgotten about this pattern and having it back brought back a lot of memories (not only those that I share below).


The pattern in the envelope was the pants part of Vogue 2854, a Claude Montana combination of blouse, jacket and pants. I was a great admirer of this designer in those days and I think this was the first Vogue pattern I ever bought. As a student then with no money to speak of a Vogue pattern was very, very expensive for me. It was the only foreign pattern label that could be bought in the Netherlands (no internet! How could we do without) . I think that I never heard of the other three of the “big four” then.

And I remember too that I was amazed by the detailed descriptions and step by step pictures of the construction. That I had never seen and I learned so much from it, used as I was to Burda or Knip instructions. I saved money to buy one or two other Vogue patterns (one of them another Claude Montana that I still have), and it brought my sewing to a higher, more ambitious plan.

Another memory is the light yellow fabric that I used for the pants, and a special shade of green fabric like silk (certainly not the real thing) for the blouse and the special button that closed the collar. I don’t remember making the jacket. Now I will remake the pants one day.

But the envelope contained only the pants pattern and both my mother and I don’t know where the remaining parts are. We both moved house several times since then, so maybe it got lost forever.

So I looked at e-bay for this specific Vogue pattern, as I would dearly like to make the blouse once more too. And there the pattern was, but alas, in a size
10. No good for me.

But searching, I found these other patterns. And I'm glad I did.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sigrid. Your posts brought back my memories from student days. I made those Montana pants in size 10 years ago! I still love their details and keep them in my closet even though I no longer fit in them. I also sewed Lauren sleeveless around the same time. I remember I had a similar issue with it and gave it away. I still have old Versace and Valentino Vogue patterns from 80's. What other oldies do you have? In any case, I am glad to find your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello May, nice to read you made those pants too. Good to have them still. I will make a post on my other old patterns soon (I don't have very many though).

    ReplyDelete

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!