Saturday, June 23, 2007

Reaction on comment

Nancy just asked in a comment how I did start making lingerie and whether I have any books. Let me answer this question here.

First: how did I start?
I started with a course on sewing lingerie that was held in the town I live. The woman that minded my children two days a week when they were little was on this course and told me about it, knowing that I sewed too. It was a great course, that thought me all the basics. Then I started reading information on the internet, bought a few commercial patterns, took another workshop with someone else. All this together let to the bra's I make now for myself and my daughter. So, it's a combination of lessons and trying, my first bra's did not fit as well as they do now. From a technical point of view: you must be precise when sewing lingerie, a few millimeters make a big difference in a bra, where in a skirt you won't see the difference.

And on books: I do not have any book on lingerie making. I considered buying the book "the bra-makers manual" last year, but thought it too expensive for my needs, as I read this book is mainly for those who sew for others.
Someone wrote me a mail and told about an Australian book "Making beautiful bra's" that deals with copying an existing bra. But I don't know this book myself.

And if you have an old bra that fits you well, you could just pull it apart and make a pattern of this to start with.

As far as English patterns go, I'm very sorry but I have no experience with those, so I can not recommend.
But I would be glad to help with a translation from Dutch or German for those who would like that. Just mail me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Sigrid. I actually did take a lingerie class several years ago and loved it, although we did not go into bra making. It mostly was panties, nighties, slips, etc. I have a zillion sewing projects right now, but am still highly interested in bra-making.

    ReplyDelete

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!