Sunday, June 3, 2007

3 baskets

For some time now I restrict myself by having 3 baskets for my sewing work. It means that I don't have more than 3 projects that I'm working on at the same time. For me, this works rather well.
At the moment in my baskets:
1. A few panties for my daughter, to go with the bra's I made her of the fabric of my post 2 weeks ago.
2. Dark blue capri pants. Made of linen I bought and washed yesterday. For these I will use a TNT pants pattern, that's been used now for 2 years and I have simply cut shorter.
3. Dotted black fabric for a top, as shown in one of my first posts. This is the picture of the pattern I have in mind. It is a Burda pattern.


This is a challenging project because of the fitting issues I have on this kind of front.
Thus I made a muslin this afternoon, after changing the pattern. Earlier this year I made a Burda top with a knotted front (review here), which I now have put away as not wearable. I keep tucking at the seam to prevent it from creeping up all the time. Just don't feel comfortable.
But I think I found the reason for this too: the length of the upper front part is not long enough to go over my D-cup breast. After taking my measurements accurately and comparing them to the pattern I changed the pattern as shown below.


I cut the pattern to the bust point (determined by tissue fitting before the mirror) a couple of times and moved the pieces down to create space. This meant extra space at the bottom, which I corrected with a dart.

Very good I decided to make a muslin, the result was not very satisfactory.





On my left side is the result as it was after the changes above. Not very flattering. On my right side I pinned away a lot of space (approx. 6 cm) from the lower front part. This looks a lot better, but I'm not yet convinced that I will use this pattern.

I do have some time to think about it, there will not be a lot of sewing the next few days, the 15 minutes here and there will be spent on my capri pants.



1 comment:

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!