Skip to main content

3 baskets

For some time now I restrict myself by having 3 baskets for my sewing work. It means that I don't have more than 3 projects that I'm working on at the same time. For me, this works rather well.
At the moment in my baskets:
1. A few panties for my daughter, to go with the bra's I made her of the fabric of my post 2 weeks ago.
2. Dark blue capri pants. Made of linen I bought and washed yesterday. For these I will use a TNT pants pattern, that's been used now for 2 years and I have simply cut shorter.
3. Dotted black fabric for a top, as shown in one of my first posts. This is the picture of the pattern I have in mind. It is a Burda pattern.

This is a challenging project because of the fitting issues I have on this kind of front.
Thus I made a muslin this afternoon, after changing the pattern. Earlier this year I made a Burda top with a knotted front (review here), which I now have put away as not wearable. I keep tucking at the seam to prevent it from creeping up all the time. Just don't feel comfortable.
But I think I found the reason for this too: the length of the upper front part is not long enough to go over my D-cup breast. After taking my measurements accurately and comparing them to the pattern I changed the pattern as shown below.

I cut the pattern to the bust point (determined by tissue fitting before the mirror) a couple of times and moved the pieces down to create space. This meant extra space at the bottom, which I corrected with a dart.

Very good I decided to make a muslin, the result was not very satisfactory.

On my left side is the result as it was after the changes above. Not very flattering. On my right side I pinned away a lot of space (approx. 6 cm) from the lower front part. This looks a lot better, but I'm not yet convinced that I will use this pattern.

I do have some time to think about it, there will not be a lot of sewing the next few days, the 15 minutes here and there will be spent on my capri pants.


Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).