Skip to main content

Twisted neckline and jacket



English Nederlands

The Ottobre t-shirt is ready. I took off the neckline and made it again with 10% decrease in length, and this was much better.
In the picture below you can see a schematic drawing of how to make such a neckline. The effect of course depends on the width of the neckline and the distance between the points. In my t-shirt I used 7 cm distance.



And this is the effect on a much smaller strip of fabric.



Knock-off jacket
Tonight I took out all pleats of the back, as I was not satisfied with the result. Then there is only one solution: take it out (I learned a lot over the years, my mother, who regularly reads my blog can confirm that. It was quite different when I was 16!)

This is one front piece, done in the way I now think it should be done. Though those pleats are a bit difficult to take good pictures of.
BTW: I'm considering Vicky's suggestion of topstitching the jacket and not doing the binding. It's a hell of a job to get it right on both sides, which is necessary for the front/collar.




Het t-shirt met de gedraaide hals is klaar (sorry voor het niet in het Nederlands schrijven de laatste keren, het kost extra tijd om het in twee talen te doen, ik zal m'n best doen om het tweetalig in stand te houden). De basis is een Ottobre t-shirt.

Eerst heb ik de halslijn verdiept zoals ik het wilde, daarna daar weer 5 cm afgehaald. Met een 12 cm brede strook de halslijn gemaakt, op de manier die ik in het onderstaande schema heb gebruikt. Ik heb steeds een afstand van 7 cm gebruikt.



En zo ziet het eruit met een smaller stuk stof.



Knock-off jasje
Vanavond heb ik alle plooien uit de rug gehaald, ik was er niet tevreden over. Dan is er maar één oplossing: uithalen. ('k Heb een hoop geleerd in de loop der jaren. Mijn moeder (die mijn weblog regelmatig leest) kan dat bevestigen! Ik reageerde wel anders toen ik 16 was.)

Dit is een van de voorpanden. En ik denk dat ik nu de juiste manier heb gevonden. Maar het is wel lastig fotograferen.

Overigens overweeg ik om het jasje door the stikken, zoals Vicky suggereerde, i.p.v. af te biezen. Het is zo moeilijk om het aan beide kanten mooi te krijgen.

Comments

  1. Cool neckline!

    I agree about the jacket and redoing it. I know that if I'm not happy with something, I need to redo it or it will bother me. For the binding, you could always do what I do, and hand stitch the free edge down once the binding is machine stitched on. I then topstitch if necessary. I find binding a pain to get just right unless I hand stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That neckline is really fantastic! That's a great tshirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i live that technique.Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. You T-shirt looks awesome!
    Yep, sometimes we must take one step back to move two steps forward. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.



Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).