Skip to main content

T-shirt with cowl collar and new bra

Can you stand another bra? I made yet another one. Not that I need any, in my drawer are more bra's and panties than I ever had when I didn't make them myself. But it is an addiction!

This is the Sewy bra I made before, only now the wrinkles are gone and the fit in the back is better. My adapted review is here. The cool new widget from Pattern Review on the right doesn't show it, because the original date is from several months ago, and in the list the new ones are on top.

Still to sew: two panties to go with this bra.

And I made a T-shirt with cowl. In my post from Thursday I showed the pattern change.
This is the original Butterick I made last winter, from a very drapey buttermilk from EmmaOneSock. It is very difficult to make a good picture, but the "lines" tend to go round my breast, instead of straight down.

I had a "lightbulb" moment when I read Claire Shaeffers solution of a collar stay in the book High fashion sewing secrets.

This is what it is about: an extra front in a non-elastic material, that prevents the cowl from draping in a way it shouldn't.

And this is the result on me. Quite a nice result I think, no pulling over my breast. As mentioned in my earlier post, I took a Jalie pattern for the overall fit and combined this with Butterick 4606.
Next time I will not make the necline in the back higher, but keep it like a


  1. That cowl looks great!! I'll have to try the cowl stay myself - thanks for pointing it out!

  2. No, I can't stand another bra! LOL. They're just too pretty and make me wish I had more time to explore lingerie making! Of course, I'm kidding - you do beautiful work.

    The cowl stay is clever! Such a great idea.

  3. Another fabulous bra! Wow! I would never have guessed it wasn't bought at a high end lingerie store!

    The cowl turned out perfect on you! I have that Claire Shaeffer book and I did notice the article about the cowl stay! Well done!

  4. Another beautiful bra! I made a bra a year ago and now you inspire me to make some more. Yours are so beautiful. I am looking forward to visiting the lingerie fabric shop you mentioned to me.
    I love your cowl sweater, too. The collar looks very nice.

  5. Great bra - nice shade of brown/taupe?
    Good job on the cowl!

  6. Can you just come to America, spend a few days sewing with me and show me how to make such wonderful bras? I am just depressed thinking about how awesome your lingerie drawer must be...

  7. Gorgeous shirt, but absolutely fabulous bra, I love it. I've just returned from another training and with some luck... I might have a bra to show on Monday :)


Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.

Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Pants fitting, part 1

First, I'd like to thank all who commented on the fitting issues for my pants. I did look at Debbie's site and somehow thought it would not be the "one" answer to my problem, as I've become convinced that there is no one-step solution for me. But I think I have found part of the solution there. Tonight I spent adapting my pattern and making a muslin.

My starting point, after reading all the information was the Threads issue of January 2006, an article by Joyce Murphy Adjusting pants from waist to seat. In this article she describes "body space" as an important point in fitting pants. And it does make sense to me, as women have very different shapes. One needs more space in the front, and others (like me) more in the back.
The picture above shows the body space in my pattern, which is 15 cm. I tried to measure my own bodyspace by taking two rulers, and it is 19 cm, which means that 2 cm more is needed (half of the extra width in the pattern). The article d…