Skip to main content

Coat almost finished

My daughters coat is not difficult to make. I expected to need more time, but it is almost finished now (Saturday night at almost 11 pm, and today there was a lot of shopping and cleaning to be done too!). The instructions are pretty clear, only a less experience sewer might be confused by the instruction "to make pleats as in picture".
The only thing I did different is the insertion of the sleeve. After pressing the sleeve seams to the body and topstitching the first sleeve as instructed on the body, I found that the sleeve had lost something (don't know how to describe this well in English). I removed the topstitching and pressed the seams to the sleeves and added a sleeve head. Much better.







For the gathering on the skirt the instructions tell you to stitch two rows of straight stitches and gather by pulling the thread. A classic way that certainly will work, but I made my life a bit easier here and used wide lingerie elastic. Color unimportant, it will be hidden.
Measured at the necessary distance and then stretched to the fabric. I used a triple zigzag to sew it on. The second picture shows the inside. You see the extra few centimeters that were lacking in the grey fabric. Initially I lengthened the lining, but that was not working, thus I added a strip of fabric to the skirt.















Still to be done:
  • line the sleeves (it is a separate step in the instructions after inserting the body lining, and I left it like that, because my daughter has to try first to determine the length of the sleeves)
  • handstitch the body lining to the skirt
  • make buttonholes, that is difficult, as my sewing foot for buttonholes can't deal with the very large buttons that will be on the coat. Must make them step by step myself and make sure they have the same length. Pity, my sewing machine makes such beautiful automatic buttonholes with the appropriate foot.
I hope to do this tomorrow evening, but not so sure that will happen. Tomorrow there's two windows

Comments

  1. Great idea, using the lingerie elasic to do the gathering!

    Hugs from Portugal, Sigrid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You did get a lot done...and I like the lingerie elastic idea for gathering...I will have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This coat looks really nice, good luck with the buttons hole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what fabric is that?
    www.domestichaven.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses. If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one. Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching the si…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).