Skip to main content

Couture exhibition

Wow, I'm going to London in December. With a good friend I made plans to visit the Henry Moore exihibition at Kew gardens (hope the wheather is reasonable) and the plans are final now. It's only two days, but it's so special.
The other reason to visit London now is the couture exhibition in the Victoria and Albert museum.
So looking forward to this.

The sewing of my shirt gave me a headache and a very low sewing spirit. On Pattern review there was only 1 review of this BWOF shirt by Sew-4-fun. She mentioned the great amount of sleeve-ease. But I was stubborn and didn't change it. Lesson learned: listen to reviewers with more experience than myself.

I did manage to get the sleeve in without puckers, but in the end there was too much fabric in the front, giving a strange "puff". Yesterday evening I took out both sleeves. They were already topstitched, but it only took me a little over an hour to take them out, take a bit off the top and sew again. Much better.

Then I took off the (second) collar and made a third one. This one still has to be finished, but looks more promising then the other two. And I thought a shirt like this would be ready in one weekend!


  1. Ah shirts. Another item I have avoided! Yours is looking good. The sleeve set in looks perfect.

  2. I certainly know how it feels to rip things out! I do plenty of it, believe or not. I forgot to mention it on the last post, but I trim off the interfacing on collars to make them less bulky, too.

    I am very jealous of you getting to go to the V&A exhibit!

  3. The shirt is looking already very good. Told you you shouldn't despair... :) I'm sure that London will be thrilling, I'm so glad for you.
    And I do thank you for giving me yet another sewing addiction. I love it!

  4. I'm green with envy!! I've never visited London and it's one of the cities I know I would love to visit!


Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.

Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Pants fitting, part 1

First, I'd like to thank all who commented on the fitting issues for my pants. I did look at Debbie's site and somehow thought it would not be the "one" answer to my problem, as I've become convinced that there is no one-step solution for me. But I think I have found part of the solution there. Tonight I spent adapting my pattern and making a muslin.

My starting point, after reading all the information was the Threads issue of January 2006, an article by Joyce Murphy Adjusting pants from waist to seat. In this article she describes "body space" as an important point in fitting pants. And it does make sense to me, as women have very different shapes. One needs more space in the front, and others (like me) more in the back.
The picture above shows the body space in my pattern, which is 15 cm. I tried to measure my own bodyspace by taking two rulers, and it is 19 cm, which means that 2 cm more is needed (half of the extra width in the pattern). The article d…