Thursday, November 1, 2007

Pants Vogue 2896

I managed to find some time to sew. So I sewed last of the three I cut two weeks ago.
It's the pants of Vogue 2896, a Anne Klein pattern. Last summer I bought this pattern, my first Vogue in years.
The pants are very simple, no pockets or other details. I won't do a full PR-review, as I don't exactly remember what I changed last year, when I first made these. I do remember starting with size 16 and making it smaller afterwards.





Knowing what pattern change I need since my experiments of last week, I should have changed this pattern a bit too, but it was already cut. But luckily it is a wider pants, it is not too bad in the back. I even lean a bit to the left, hence the extra wrinkle there.

From the line drawing, it looks these pants have a straight waistband. This is not so, the waistband is actually very much shaped. So much that I couldn't get into the pants when I used this waistband (also already found out last year). I straightened the waistband, but did not make it completely straight.

The fabric is a very beautiful quality wool, with great drape. I lined it with a good quality (Venezia) fabric too, and these pants feel great.

Two pictures of the inside: I always sew the upper part of the center back seam last, I find that this gives a better fit. I learned this from RTW pants that I could easily take in because of this seam, but saw now that it is also recommended in the Burda sewing book to do it like this.
It made it a bit more trouble with the lining, which I hand-sewed in center back. Next time I will try the lining method as described in Sandra Betzina's book Power Sewing.

I did not sew a hongkong finish to the whole of the waistband (if you want to do that, a good tutorial was written by Tany in this post). But I did make such a finish at the sides of the waistband in the back. And yes, the stripes do not match in the back of the waistband. Grrr.

6 comments:

  1. Sigrid, those pants look great! Love the fabric, it looks very luxurious and classy. The fit seems really nice.
    I would love to make a pair of pinstripe trousers and you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some elegant trousers! Very nice insides, too , which make them a pleasure to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those look great. I saw the leave-the-center-back-seam-until-last trick on a pair of expensive RTW trousers recently, and I think it's a wonderful idea. I'll have to try it once I actually start making tailored pants :) .

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really doing well with your pant fitting. These and the pink/red pair look great.

    I have been doing a lot of reading about pants fitting but am not yet ready to take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay maybe the stripes don't match but those are an awfully good looking pair of pants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigrid, these trousers look fabulous on you! Very elegants and haute couture! I love pinstripes (can you tell?) and I'm in awe with your fabric!

    ReplyDelete