Saturday, March 29, 2008

band with scallop

First of all: Anne (from Denmark) thank you so much for the Ikea fabric idea for muslin fabric. There's an Ikea not far away from my home, so I will stop by this week and buy a couple of meters. Never thought of this. And Debbie: no wrinkles in this linen pants because they were straith from the ironing board to taking pictures. They won't stay without wrinkles wearing them. The green jacket had a little setback yesterday evening. When I had inserted the interfacing for the back and pressed the part again on the front, I saw a very clear colour difference at the fold. The fabric is the same on both sides, so I made the interfacing wet immediately and washed the pattern piece( I had marked it too with wax paper!). Then it was left to dry and hoping it would not be too visible. It's fine, so I'll work on it a bit tomorrow. Often I work on a few projects at a time and at the moment I'm working on a set of lin gerie besides the green jacket.



In a private e-mail I received a question on the construction of the band of a bra, when there is a part of the scallop visible. To illustrate the difference two pictures. The first bra has a band without scallop of the lace used, in the second, the scallop of the lace is used in the center.




A little tutorial for those interested (click on the pictures to see a larger picture:


1. The scallop is cut with the deepest part at the seam line, of course without seam allowances. The part without scallop is attached with the seam line at the height of the deepest point of the scallop.



2. Cut the elastic in one length and mark the necessary points



3. Attach the elastic with a small zigzag at the edge, see the picture above, and leave the center part free.


4. Trim the seam allowance


5. Turn the elastic to the inside and topstitch with a triple/multiple zigzag. The part of the scalloped lace is attached with this topstitching only.


12 comments:

  1. Once again, you have made a gorgeous bra showed us how to do it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bra is so beautiful, thanks for the tutorial, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous bra!! Thanks too for the tutorial. It is very helpful and not something I would have known how to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am continually in awe of your bra making abilities. You took a complicated looking piece and broke it down into such simple and easily digested pieces! It makes me think that I could even make one if I wanted! Thanks for so willingly sharing your knowledge with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm amazed, thanks again for this tutorial... I'll definitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dat is een goede tip! Die ga ik bewaren....
    Dank je wel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful fabric and beautifully done. Adding my thanks for the tutorials.
    I tried clicking on one of the links to the lin gerie supplier in Amsterdam, but can't get it to load. I'll have to try later. I've never seen fabrics like that avail here in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, I love how you used the scallops

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to help. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My friend just showed me how easy it is to make underwear (panties); I think I'll practice those for a while but I'd love to try a bra one day!

    ReplyDelete