Sunday, November 7, 2010

Striped shirts

Two shirts are in the sewing queue, and I’m making them at the same time, as both need white thread. So first I took all the steps of cutting, marking, interfacing for both shirts, and now I’m sewing them taking the same steps. The pattern is different, but the main steps are the same.

 

For both I did sew the collar with stand first. For this I use Pam’s method, which I find easy with good results. I’ve done the method described by David Page Coffin (and described by several bloggers, including me) with good results too, but find it more complicated.

You’ll find a lot of these tutorials and links to Pam’s tutorials as well on my tutorial blog here.

 

A picture of the first collar, a cotton fabric that I bought recently (you’ve seen it as the contrasting fabric on the wadder shirt). I have a beautiful pants fabric to go with it, but the pants fitting is a struggle (I’m working on that too, but am not post pictures here).

 

The other fabric is cotton with some manmade fibre in the black stripes. It’s been in my stash for a few years, because I was afraid to work with it: the stripes were in the width of the fabric, and it has a lot of stretch. This makes it more difficult to work with, and I must use my walking foot to get good results.

  

The collar and stand on this one is attached. Next step is to do that for the other shirt. Now it’s bedtime.

13 comments:

  1. You use your walking foot for sewing stretch shirting? I have a ufo white shirt that I put aside because I didn't like how the princess seams were puckering. Thank you for a brilliant idea. I never have anything to use my expensive walking foot on. Now I do.
    And btw I love both fabrics and the collar looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making some great looking collars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good idea to sew the two shirts at the same time, the stretch fabric will be a very comfortable shirt ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the design elements on the shoulders. I am always looking for new ideas for stiped shirtings.
    You collars look great, I love Pam's tutorials and I will have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigrid,
    Your stitching is absolutely perfect. You should be so proud of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm jealous of your beautiful topstitching. My machine always misbehaves and, for the time being, I am learning to live with less-than-perfect stitching. Your shirts look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great collars - I use my walking foot for anything that misbehaves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice sewing! I hate fabric that misbehaves, but hooray for walking feet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely idea, to sew two shirts that need the same thead at the same time! I have borrowed your idea and I'm sewing two shirts at the same time, too.

    And I agree--what lovely collars! I like the topstitching. Last night I made assembled the collars, cuffs, and button facings, so assembling the shirts should take very little time.

    I've saved some time and I've learned something at the same time.

    Thank you for a timely blog post!

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  10. These stripe collars look fabulous. Beautiful top stitching and great shoulder design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those shirts are looking great. And a good idea to do two at once!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea with the walking foot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea for the walking foot, I use it all the time for knits so it makes sense to use it for stretch wovens; thankyou!! Love the fabric you are using. I have some very similar with a brown colourway.

    ReplyDelete