Sunday, November 21, 2010

December hasn't even started

and I finished a dress from the December issue of Knip Mode. In general I’m quite happy with it, the neckline is a bit deep and the collar tends to flip to the outside. Think I will open up the center front seam and pull the collar a little bit farther in. Doing this and keeping it together with pins helped a lot.

 

I like the drafting of the pattern, though I think there’s one marking point missing in the center front piece. Not a lot of trouble with my sewing experience, but could be difficult for others. I used a size 40 and only tapered down to 42 at hip height for the back pattern piece.

Melissa, who made the same dress last week, already noted that there are a lot of layers at center front. The fabric must not be too thick. I did not use my serger for the center front and neckline but used a zigzag stitch. The marking I missed was for where to start gathering at the center front piece. Pinning and basting everything together before sewing helped me in visualizing how this got together and  decide that the gathers all had to be below the pleated end of the collar (the part thats folded over), so that there would be no extra gathered layers of fabric at the point of the pleats.

I followed the detailed construction drawings, but changed (after unpicking) one step: the instructions tell you to sew upper front and skirt together and then sew the neckline and center front. I first finished the complete upper part (gathers, neckline and sewing center front), and my last step was sewing the upper part to the skirt part. I unpicked the seam I had already done for about 2 inches. For me this was easier to work.

Conclusion: I like the dress and I like Knip Mode better than BurdaStyle at the moment. Think I’ll start the new year with a subscription.

  

   

39 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a very classy dress! The lines of the collar/skirt work really well and are flattering. And the colour you picked is great on you.

    It's things like this which sometimes make me wonder about missing out by not sewing from magazines anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on elegant dress. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wat mooi... en nu weet ik hoe hij er uit ziet als een persoon met mijn maten hem aan heeft :)
    Ik wil deze jurk ook gaan maken, maar had er een beetje schrik van omdat je nooit weet hoe hij uitvalt.
    En goed van je dat je vermeld dat de hals wat laag is en het probleempje met de col/sjaal

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful dress! I like that it's "different". Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigrid, this is beautiful! And so interesting to look at. What a show stopping piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I like this. It's really different. I haven't seen anything quite like it. Gorgeous color too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is stunning!! It is so elegant but simple at the same time. You look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress is very .elegant! I think this is one of your best colors, too

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow, it is stunning. You look amazing.

    I saw Knipmode for the first time at our sewing club meeting about 2 months ago. I really liked the styles but I was put off by the fact the patterns are drafted for 172 cm height (or something similar and equally tall) All that shortening for me (163) put me off, but I can see the attraction. Everyone wants wearable, smart patterns - Burda is becoming very high fashion which is becoming increasingly beyond my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really wonderful on you. Such a great fit and the color is lovely on you as well. All in all a terrific dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! The colour & style look good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this dress. I can't buy Knipmode in Australia - I have a touch of pattern envy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very stylish and chic dress. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! What an elegant dress and it looks perfect on you! It has a 30s vintage feel in the very best way!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a really great dress, I love the draping in the skirt part.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like the others have said - the color and style are beautiful. (It looks difficult!) Beautifully sewn, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love the unusual draping on this. You did a fantastic job putting it together and it is very flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Classy and elegant - great colour and I suspect it is the perfect weight for this design - you must feel like a million bucks in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous color, terrific new dress. I love the front tie and drape. I wonder it's possible to try it as a knit top as well as a dress?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so lovely, let me join the chorus -elegant, classic with a twist, interesting. I wish I could buy KnipMode! (and sew as well as you).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic dress! It looks so classy but yet stylish! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is some fantastic draping! It's a very elegant dress. I like the look of KnipMode patterns. They are not run of the mill.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is some fantastic draping! It's a very elegant dress. I like the look of KnipMode patterns. They are not run of the mill.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! So stylish and such a great color for you, too. I think with a variety of accessories, you could wear this anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really cool dress! I love the drape detail.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful! It looks even better than the one in the magazine. The details are showing much better with this colour than it would in a black fabric (like in the magazine).
    Unfortunately I still don't get the instructions. Thinking 3-dimensional is not my strongest point I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful and elegant! That dress is a piece that you wear a lot probably. The draping was very nice with the fabric. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  28. waarom heb je niet gelocked met de machine? was daar een probleem in dat gebied of zo.
    heb het patroon ook zien staan maar twijfel nog

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow!!! Sigrid this is elegant and you wear blue so well, it (the color) doesn't look boring at all.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is such an elegant dress. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This dress is a beauty on you. Is it a viscose jersey you used?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I LOVE THIS!!!! Fantastic drape detail and it fits you beautifully!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great dress Sigrid - it's interesting but the colour you chose makes it look classical at the same time as original. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wat een mooie jurk! Staat je heel erg goed. Zowel model als kleur!

    Saskia

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful dress, love the color! It suits you perfectly, and it's very flattering

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are ready to walk the runway in this! Very chic!

    ReplyDelete