Skip to main content


I was planning to write a post "what is not included in the bwof instructions" based on pictures I made for the pocket. But I'll write that one later this week. Just too tired.

In the picture you can see what color I'm using. It's a deep red linen, and I decided to line it. I also interfaced the complete front pattern pieces and part of the back.

For the topstitching I use a darker red. The topstitching is a feature of this jacket and the darker color makes it more distinct. Unfortunately it also shows each unevenness, as in the left of the picture. I might take it out and redo it.

In January I posted about the problem of the zipper foot of my Bernina machine.

Kay Y (who doesn't blog, but writes great reviews of the beautiful clothes she makes on PR) and someone in a private mail advised me to buy a low shank adapter. With that tool I could use generic feet.

I followed the advise and bought the adapter and zipper foot on Ebay from this supplier. It was a very good experience in communication, and shipping costs for Europe were very reasonable. I had thought to use this for the piping in the weekender bag, but as you know, I omitted that. (And Belinda, yes, my hands were hurting from the pins after making the bag, and DD asked why we had so many bent pins!)

Now I can use my Bernina too when I want to have a more free needle.


  1. That is really a good idea to write about what's not in the instructions. In fact, that would be a great addition to the PR template for pattern reviews.

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. I think you and I have the same machine (Bernina Aurora 430). I'm going to put the low shank adapter and generic zipper foot on my wish list.

  4. Model BURDA is great and with this color ... I am sure the end result will be fantastic.

    see you soon, Paco

  5. I have a different model Bernina sewing machine with the same issues. I ordered the low shank adapter and generic zipper foot they work like a charm. Thank you so much for sharing what worked for you. This has opened a whole new world of presser feet for me.

    CarlaF-in Atlanta, Georgia


Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.

Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Pants fitting, part 1

First, I'd like to thank all who commented on the fitting issues for my pants. I did look at Debbie's site and somehow thought it would not be the "one" answer to my problem, as I've become convinced that there is no one-step solution for me. But I think I have found part of the solution there. Tonight I spent adapting my pattern and making a muslin.

My starting point, after reading all the information was the Threads issue of January 2006, an article by Joyce Murphy Adjusting pants from waist to seat. In this article she describes "body space" as an important point in fitting pants. And it does make sense to me, as women have very different shapes. One needs more space in the front, and others (like me) more in the back.
The picture above shows the body space in my pattern, which is 15 cm. I tried to measure my own bodyspace by taking two rulers, and it is 19 cm, which means that 2 cm more is needed (half of the extra width in the pattern). The article d…