Skip to main content


The blouse is near finishing. The fabric is difficult to work with due to the large amount of stretch. The picture below gives an indication of that. I've sewn before with cotton with stretch in it, but never as much as this fabric.

If you read my blog a bit longer already, you know that I want the stripes to match as much as possible. The only way to make sure they do, is using the walking foot for stitching. Just before I took these pictures, I messed up the topstitching of the band of the collar. Time for a break! First I took the topstitching out, then I left the blouse for the moment and will finish it later this weekend.  The dropping shoulder is not my favorite, that I already know from the first fitting. And I'm not sure if the pocket will stay on and/or will get the accompanying pocket on the right side. The pattern is for two pockets with flap, and I have cut them, but am not so sure whether I like the pockets. Too much going on with this fabric is my feeling. What do you think?


  1. I think the pocket is not nice with the band. I suggest to remove it, sorry.


  2. I don't know about the pockets - but definitely NO flaps, that for sure would make it too busy. Let it rest for a day or two and then come back before making up your mind. That is not procrastination, it's creative decision making.

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. Love the placket with the horizontal stripe. Not so much with the pocket.

  5. I think the pocket might be better cut the other way, following the stripes on the shirt so it's practically invisible.

  6. I say no to the horizontal striped pockets. You might get away with a matching vertical striped pocket however. Take off that bad pocket, turn it and see if vertical stripes would look better. If not, forget it, they are just decoration anyway.

  7. No pockets. I think the stripe on the front placket is enough contrast. It is wise to step away some times and view your project with fresh eyes.

  8. Hoi Sigrid,
    Ik vind die ene zak dus wel erg leuk, zo samen met de knopenboord.
    Het geeft de bloes iets speels.
    Maar ja, ik ben kennelijk de enige die dat vind.
    Succes met beslissen.

    Groeten, Ria

  9. I agree no decorative pockets but if you need them then make them as invisible as possible (like Alexandra suggests)

  10. I don't know about the pocket, but are dropped shoulders back in?
    I put on an OLD shirt from my closet on Sunday, and immediately noted the dropped shoulders. I told dh that I really didn't like it, and he said "you look fine", but geesh, I'm glad for the more fitted styles of today. This thing had no fitting darts, (tucked in, it billowed out over my pants) dropped shoulders, too short sleeves (and I'm short!) Ugh!
    I DO like the fabric, and your manipulation of the stripes.


Post a Comment

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).

Lining a vest

In this post I'll describe how to line a vest. This description is based on the technique that is described in a Burda sewing book I have (in Dutch).

For your information: here you can find this description in a PDF-file.

First the result of the vest, I had no buttons to go with it, will add these later.

The back of the lining is cut 3-4 centimeters from the fold of the fabric. This gives moving space and prevents your outer fabric from pulling.

Sew the center back seam partially: 5 centimeters on the top, and a few centimetres in the waist and on the bottom.

Sew outside of vest as normal, but do not sew the side seams.

Sew lining, without sewing side seams.

Pin and seam vest and lining at front, armholes and back hem. Stitch to the exact seamline of the sideseam, not over it (see next picture)

Make sure you mark the side seam, to be sure that you do not stitch too far.

Clip all round seams, grade seams if your fabric is thick.

Turn the vest by putting your hand through the side s…