Skip to main content

Copying a pair of pants (3)

It's very slow sewing here. I haven't touched my sewing machine for days and only tonight found time to make the alterations to my pattern and I am ready to cut the fabric.

Helen, I'm grateful for your comment on the Sandra Betzina method. I checked and that method is described in the book Power sewing that I have. And I'm going to do that instead of leaving the pocketseam open. I'll show pictures when I've done this.

 

When trying on the muslin to determine the position of the pockets in the waistband, I saw that the center front line was bent too much to the center at the location where I moved the dart.

It's a bit difficult to see in the picture, the line is drawn about 1,5 cm more to the outside at the top and then I made a smooth curve to center front again.

You can see the drawing of the pocket and the possible sizes for the tab. The same I did (with the help of DD) on the back.

I like the experiment and hope that the result is going to be what I have in mind.

 

There were a few comments on Kenneth King's book. I'm not the only one who loves this book, but if ýou already own a book by Kenneth King look at the reviews here. The 3rd review is of interest!

Designdreamer: thank you for the link to his book in the comments. And let us know when you make your version of these pants! It's a nice idea others are going to do this too.

And finally: this is why I want another foot for my Bernina:

The dark stitchline is as far as I can go to the left with my Bernina zipper foot, there is no other Bernina foot that will get me closer to the piping. The light blue thread is sewn with the old Elna machine. With piping this is the most obvious, but there were occasions in the past year where I wanted the needle to be further to the right or left then possible. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Bernina machine, this is the first thing I don't like about it. And could have easily been solved if they would sell another zipper foot.

I was advised by Kay Y and in a private mail to buy a shank for my Bernina so that I could use generic presser feet. I did find a supplier on Ebay and am eagerly awaiting my order. It will take some time before it will be here, and I'll let you know the results.

Comments

  1. It would depend on the size of your filler (for the piping - the only kind I have ever made was for heirloom garments, so very tiny) but I've used my pintucking foot/feet.
    I've considered buying that shank in order to use generic feet, but I've bought ONE non-bernina (generic) foot (it has the same attachment style and therefor didn't require the special shank) and although it was quite a savings, it just doesn't work as smoothly as the "authentic" feet. I'll be intested so hear your thoughts on the subject.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses. If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one. Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching the si…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).