Skip to main content

Symmetry

The first set of bra and panties is almost finished. Some elastic to the top of one of the two panties, then I'm done. In my post of this weekend I showed you a piece of lace of which I have only 60 cm. It was the last piece, normally I won't buy less than 1 meter, but as it was wide I couldn't resist because of the wonderful fabric and quality.

And on these items I have an obsession for symmetry. But with only 60 cm of fabric to play with, this is not easy. I cut the upper cups first, these are the largest pattern pieces for the lace and 'must' be identical (if you make bras and are not as obsessed as I am, you make your life a lot easier, I assure you).

This is what was left of the lace after cutting the upper cups and center part of the bra.
The pattern piece below it is to be cut twice, and will be on the left and right of the front of the panty.
Obviously this can not be done, symmetrical or not.
On the scallop side, I put the pattern at the most narrow part, and traced the contour of the flower.
Then the pattern piece is turned and the flowers matched. Happy face with me, it works!
I changed the pattern so that it's possible to cut two smaller parts. The part I cut off, I put to the back pattern part.
Two identical lace parts for the panty.
There was a little piece still matching on the scallop left. I used that for an extra detail at the band on the outer side of the bra.
And this is really all that's left of 60 cm of lace.

This set won't be finished very soon, but I certainly expect to show you some pictures end of next week. Another busy weekend ahead with friends visiting and celebrating my son's birthday. This "little boy" turned 13 today. Taller than his mum already, which pleases him enormously.

And some time ago I promised to make a tutorial for a partial band bra. It's finished and I uploaded it as pdf file earlier this week. It's too many pages to publish here. Click on the Tutorials (pdf) link on top of my blog to see the list of pdf-files.

Comments

  1. I completely understand this desire to get things symmetrical and would have done the same! Using the tissue paper was smart to get the pieces just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat een prachtig kant zeg! Snap dat je er veel tijd in steekt om het dan ook mooi symmetrisch te krijgen.
    Heb ook nog even bij je werkbeschrijvingen gekeken. Wat ontzettend verzorgd toch allemaal en praktisch toepasbaar. DANKJEWEL!!!

    Jos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.



Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Pants fitting, part 1

First, I'd like to thank all who commented on the fitting issues for my pants. I did look at Debbie's site and somehow thought it would not be the "one" answer to my problem, as I've become convinced that there is no one-step solution for me. But I think I have found part of the solution there. Tonight I spent adapting my pattern and making a muslin.






My starting point, after reading all the information was the Threads issue of January 2006, an article by Joyce Murphy Adjusting pants from waist to seat. In this article she describes "body space" as an important point in fitting pants. And it does make sense to me, as women have very different shapes. One needs more space in the front, and others (like me) more in the back.
The picture above shows the body space in my pattern, which is 15 cm. I tried to measure my own bodyspace by taking two rulers, and it is 19 cm, which means that 2 cm more is needed (half of the extra width in the pattern). The article d…