Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Really the last

Post for this year, at least here it's still 2008. In other parts of the world 2009 has already begun!

My day was filled with making traditional Dutch "old years evening" snacks: oliebollen en appelflappen. As far as I know this is a tradition only in The Netherlands, and some searching learned me that the tradition is already a few hundred years old, but the exact origin unknown. This is eaten on the last evening of the year, and a lot of people here are baking these (frying actually) themselves.

IMG_4391

We're spending the evening with friends, and this year it was my turn to make these. My son helped me and it was quite fun to do.

Next year I'll be back with sewing related posts, for now I want to thank you all for reading my blog, the very nice comments and e-mails I've received that were so wonderful to read. The international sewing community is a great place to be part of.

 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

17 comments:

  1. Happy new year to you too! I'll keep checking in on you in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! Those desserts look delicious! Might be worth spending New Year's Eve in the Netherlands one year!

    Thanks so much for sharing your projects and ideas with us!

    Lynda in LV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you too! Looking forward to seeing what you sew in the New Year. Your treats look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh... that looks really yummy... Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year!!!! Your treats looks tastey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a very happy New Year and a wonderful 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year wishes from Helsinki:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! I bet those would taste good with my Margarita right now :) .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yumm..oliebollen and appelflappen were always a part of my growing up New Years celebrations! Hope your New Year is great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year! That sounds like a fun tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man, I haven't had olibollen in a long time. I'd better get my Dutch cookbook out. I'm not Dutch but my husband is and I have learned to cook most of the foods. Actually the Dutch community we live near has an annual Dutch supper-usually sometime in March. It's very well-attended by non-Dutch as well as Dutch. Good solid tasty foods.

    ReplyDelete