Saturday, October 7, 2017

A self-drafted dress

This week I started and finished the dress I drafted. I made a few changes to the pattern, based on the muslin and comments and am quite happy with the result.

Let’s start with some pictures of the dress as is and some of how I’ll wear this.

PA070913PA070908PA070912

My intention from the start was to wear it with a belt.

PA070915PA070919PA070932

A combination for the coming season. The weather here is not for sleeveless dresses.

PA070925PA070927

And finally some pictures from the inside. I used a lining fabric with some stretch. It’s basically my sloper pattern with a straigh skirt. The facing for the back is a separate layer over the lining fabric, a method I use often.

The construction of the dress is the same as I showed last year for a sleeveless top. In this dress I added a zipper in the left side seam, to make it easier to get it over my head.

PA070948PA070950PA070951

14 comments:

  1. It's a very pretty shape and looks great with and without the belt. I love the way it fits at the armholes too – no gaping. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, I'm glad with the fit of the armholes.

      Delete
  2. Lovely dress and perfectly styled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should feel very accomplished! It fits perfectly, great color and I love your styling, especially the obi belt. Doesn't hurt that you look great in it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I loved to make the pictures with the styling.

      Delete
  4. Wow what a beautifully made dress....looks comfy and stylish, all at the same time. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully executed and how awesome that you drafted it yourself! I have been devoting a lot of time to my patternmaking books lately, comparing methods and trying to find out what works best for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to compare methods isn't it? I love to see all different methods and trying it. If there only was more time in a day.

      Delete
  6. How did you draft the cowl neckline? I've tried cowls on a few commercial patterns but they're always too big and droop too far out. Yours looks great! I'd love to know how wide and deep your cowl pattern is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drafted the cowl by rotating out darts from my sloper(the shoulder and armhole dart) and squaring off a line to center front. You can see the drawing of my sloper and pattern piece in my post from September 27 (http://sigridsewingprojects.blogspot.nl/2017/09/im-in-dress-mode.html), as well as how I checked how deep the neckline is on me. Hope this helps.

      Delete