Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Short coat–Lekala 4625 back

It took me some time to find a pattern I wanted and could sew with the fabric I had. As this fabric was bought with the intention of sewing a Chanel style jacket I had only about two meters of fabric. Think it was a remnant piece as there were strange cut offs on both sides, probably for samples.
Having two meters to sew a coat is not much, to say the least. My choice of patterns was very limited and I settled for this Lekala pattern.
image
I will try to find an accent fabric for the belt/closing and if I can’t find it, I might skip that detail and sew buttonholes. I’m also thinking of adding pockets. A coat without pockets isn’t very good, don’t you think?
After roughly cutting the fabric pieces I block-fused them with a thin fusible interfacing. This I bought at the English couture company in the UK. (I used to buy most of my interfacing at Fashion Sewing supply from Pam Erny, but as they don’t ship internationally anymore I had to find another resource and this is certainly a good one. Great quality too).
The interfacing gives more stability to the fabric and keeps it from ravelling.
From that point I treat the fabric as the base fabric, meaning that I still added interfacing as I would for any jacket or coat that I did not block fuse with thin interfacing first.
PA180994
A back stay is added. The darts are pressed in the opposite direction from the darts of the main fabric. It could be better to stitch the seams with a catch stitch to keep them down. Something for another evening.
PA180996
A walking foot is almost a must to keep the lines matching.
PA180999

9 comments:

  1. I love how you add additional interfacing counting the first interfacing like an underlining. Anxious to see the final results. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting jacket. I'm looking forward to seeing the future construction steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this pattern and it's perfect for your fabric. Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that pattern. I think it will look great even if you have to miss the belt feature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I happen to be in the middle of a Chanel jacket myself. Great choice of patterns for your alternative project. I love the belt details. Best of luck. :D

    ReplyDelete