Skip to main content

Pants - with piping

It took me some samples on the piping before I had the courage to decide I would make my Vogue 1066 pants with piping. I had two sorts of piping. One a thinner piping, with no separate cord in the middle. The other the more classic bias piping with cord.

The thinner variety was difficult to work with, certainly for me as I do not have experience with piping. I also tried how it would be if I only used topstitching (3rd from above). Didn't like that with the stripes in this case.

Another difficulty for me were the points of the tabs. The pattern shows them as sharp angles, but I couldn't make them work properly. Which made me finally think that I had better make them round. At least easier and with the bias tape with cord it was relatively easy from there.

A picture from the front pinned on my dressform. Hope to finish them this weekend, it's pretty straightforward from now on, I already inserted the zipper.


  1. Wow, that piping looks fantastic

  2. The pants will look wonderful. The piping detail adds to the great style of these pants.I have this pattern and love this style.
    Will look forward to seeing yours made up.

  3. Your samples look great, I love the look of that bold piping with the stripes. Just a hint for future angular piping, Kenneth King's book "Cool Couture" has some great instructions with very detailed pictures to get your piping to look sharp and all kinds of awesome. I've yet to try it, but I'm really looking forward to it when I do.

  4. Hello Sigrid,

    I know you said you weren't commenting much at the moment, but I was wondering if I could trouble you for some information. If you leave a comment on your own blog, I will come back and read it.

    I am looking for the pattern number for the Marfy pants reviewed in Threads 141. I followed along your knock-off, and I think I want to buy the pattern...only I can't find my Threads 141.

    Thanks, Katherine

  5. Katharine: it's number 1666, in Threads it was said it isn't on the site either, but that you can order by mailing to Marfy through their site.
    Strange way of selling your pattern in my opinion, but hope you will find a way to get it.

  6. Sigrid - amazing work on that piping. Love the look of it crossing over the pocket.

  7. The piping detail looks amazing! I can't wait to see the finished pants!!

  8. Such a smart detail - I love piping! Making the point into a round was the right thing to do, unless you're using a mini-piping.

  9. The piping looks so sharp! Can't wait to see the pants.

  10. Oh, I did these not too long ago. It's on my blog. Wish I'd used better material (red tag Joann's!) But they sure turned out nice. Looking forward to seeing yours.


Post a Comment

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).

Lining a vest

In this post I'll describe how to line a vest. This description is based on the technique that is described in a Burda sewing book I have (in Dutch).

For your information: here you can find this description in a PDF-file.

First the result of the vest, I had no buttons to go with it, will add these later.

The back of the lining is cut 3-4 centimeters from the fold of the fabric. This gives moving space and prevents your outer fabric from pulling.

Sew the center back seam partially: 5 centimeters on the top, and a few centimetres in the waist and on the bottom.

Sew outside of vest as normal, but do not sew the side seams.

Sew lining, without sewing side seams.

Pin and seam vest and lining at front, armholes and back hem. Stitch to the exact seamline of the sideseam, not over it (see next picture)

Make sure you mark the side seam, to be sure that you do not stitch too far.

Clip all round seams, grade seams if your fabric is thick.

Turn the vest by putting your hand through the side s…