Skip to main content

A single welt in back of pants

After the front pocket, the back pocket gave me some trouble too. I made the first one and had to do the topstitching around the welt (as seen in RTW ) in two passes. Not easy to work and I thought of doing it another way.

In the past I've found many tutorials on (welt) pockets, but not this particular one. I decided to make the opening first and adding the welt later. Inspired by the method that Ann shows (which she described in an article in Threads too, and I've found the same technique described by Claire Shaeffer) .

As I was making a sample, I made pictures so that I could share it with you.

Notice my new sewing foot in the fourth picture,  it is open in the front so that you can see exactly what you do. I already know it's worth every euro I paid for it.

The red is the wrong side of the fabric, the location of the welt has a lightweight fusible interfacing.
To the right the welt itself and the inner pocket (a lining fabric).
The opening is marked on the interfacing, exactly the height the welt will have.
Sew the inner pocket to the welt and press down.
Pin silk organza on the front of you fabric, making sure that there is enough fabric around the opening.
From the back, sew the marking line. Make small stitches in the corner and keep the needle down while pivoting.

Cut the opening, slashing to the corners exactly (but of course not through the stitching)
Press the opening
Pin the welt to the opening (other way round then I did in this sample, you'll want the seam pointing to the wrong side)
Pinned  to make sure everything is in place, basting might be better in a real garment.
Topstitch the edges. I use the blind seam foot for that.
Here you can see the opening of the welt.
The welt is topstitched all around. The little white strip you see is my table underneath.
Cover with the pocket facing.
Open the top so that you see the seam allowance from the opening.
Stitch the seam allowance to the pocket facing.
This stitching doesn't need to be too secure, as the seam allowance itself is already secured by the topstitching.
Sew the pocket all around. It's now ready to serge the edges (not in the picture).
The finished look on the inside
The finished pocket in my project.


  1. Excellent tutorial! I'll have to try this method some time.

  2. Thanks for the tutorial. These pockets will make all the difference on the pants.

  3. Thank you so much for the photo tutorial! I'm saving it for future reference! :)

  4. Excellent tutorial and work. Thank you for sharing.

  5. Very nice! Thank you for the tutorial!

  6. Thanks for the single-welt tutorial! I was just looking at a lady's pants in church yesterday and she had single welt pockets in the back. They looked pretty nice, too, so I was thinking about doing them in some dress pants. That is, once I get to back to my pants draft which pops up on my activity list about once every three months.


Post a Comment

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses. If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one. Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching the si…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).