Skip to main content

Pants - front pocket

IMG_4175

The pocket in the front is ready. I started with Ann's instructions for the Vogue pants. But somewhere I  was lost (the reason is most probably me, not the instructions by Ann), and I went on following my own sewing sense. When I was ready I was not satisfied by the result. Uneven and the topstitching in one corner was 1 stitch off.

Time for the seam ripper, I'm not one for sewing without mistakes. And I couldn't let go of this and go on.

So, an hour later, this is the pocket. It's in the same location as the first one, I unpicked all. This is how it should be, I'm satisfied with the result, so I basted it in place for further construction.

I used lightweight fusible interfacing where the welt is sewn. And because I cut the welt on the bias, I interfaced the welt to prevent stretching.

IMG_4176 IMG_4177

Comments

  1. Much better! The time spent ripping and remaking was well spent. The second pocket looks as good or better than RTW. I wouldn't have been able to leave the first version, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A woman after my own heart:)) Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your perfectionism and patience really paid off. The pocket looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I would have had to rip it out too. The second one looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses. If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one. Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching the si…