Skip to main content

Two projects finished

Last week I finished the blouse for DD and my pants. For both I wrote a short review at Pattern Review.

The blouse for DD, she wore it today and managed to get a stain on it right away. So it's soaking in water right now. No chance for pictures on her (nothing to do with the stain btw). 

The pants pattern in general fitted as I thought it would. As my waist is two sizes smaller than my hip size, I trace the size that I need for my hips. With BWOF that is consistent size 44, (oh how I would like that it would come down to 42, but alas, the fitness programm does help, but not too much). Next step is make the dart in the back deeper, or add a second dart in the back. I also make a dart in the front (which is seldom there to start with).

The final alteration is making the crotch seam deaper, and adding the space that I took away there to the side seam. Which looks like this in a pattern.

In construction I sew the center back seam as a last step (after the waistband is sewed on), which gives me the last possibility of finetuning the fit.

With these pants I basted all with the longest straight stitch on my machine and fitted. All seemed perfectly alright, till the pictures were taken by DD: wrinkles/folds in the back. I think it might be the fabric, and of course the camera just takes a picture while standing still. I'm accepting this (must accept this), and I wore the pants yesterday and they felt good.

It's nice to have both projects finished. First in the line of completion will be the lining for the Vogue jacket I showed earlier. Then I might try my hand at another knock-off. I've seen so much inspiration for tops. I'll keep you posted.

Comments

  1. The pants look very RTW. Love the details. And the shirt is great. DD should be very happy with that. All those details means lots of work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. two fabulous projects (hope the stain comes out of the shirt!). i agree the details on the pants are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow on the pants, so RTW but better. Your dd has to be thrilled with the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of these look great! Thanks so much for the line drawing showing your alterations, too - it really helps to see it as well as read about the "whys"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both projects are great - such nice RTW details and I know a much better fit with the trousers! The trousers look sharp and look very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sewing ~ I love your pants and appreciate you showing how you made your alteration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.



Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Pants fitting, part 1

First, I'd like to thank all who commented on the fitting issues for my pants. I did look at Debbie's site and somehow thought it would not be the "one" answer to my problem, as I've become convinced that there is no one-step solution for me. But I think I have found part of the solution there. Tonight I spent adapting my pattern and making a muslin.






My starting point, after reading all the information was the Threads issue of January 2006, an article by Joyce Murphy Adjusting pants from waist to seat. In this article she describes "body space" as an important point in fitting pants. And it does make sense to me, as women have very different shapes. One needs more space in the front, and others (like me) more in the back.
The picture above shows the body space in my pattern, which is 15 cm. I tried to measure my own bodyspace by taking two rulers, and it is 19 cm, which means that 2 cm more is needed (half of the extra width in the pattern). The article d…