Skip to main content

My take on BWOF 05-2008-121

technical drawing

Till now I've seen three versions of this dress: Tany made it, and on Patter Review there are reviews of Merteuil and Kay Y. All of them are lovely and from the first time I saw it, thought I would make it. I did have the fabric, that I intended for a dress from the moment I bought it and didn't want to leave it till next year.

In all reviews, the construction of the front was regarded as difficult.

I decided to trace the pattern and do it my way, because I had a similar experience with another BWOF dress last year.

What BWOF wants you to do is make the neckline and add the band over the front. What I did was take the part from the band off the pattern for front and back. I made the neck band completely separate and after it was finished attached it to the front and back. Let me show you what I did with the neckline.

IMG_2798 I joined the pattern pieces for front and back neckline at the shoulder, so that there would only be a center back seam.
The neckband is cut twice.

BTW: I made the neckline 3 cm higher, BWOF often is too low for convenient wearing without a camisole.
IMG_2799 One side interfaced with knit fusible interfacing (no black in my stash, white was only a bit left too, therefor the line on the shoulder), and sewed center back and center front of both the front and facing neckband.
IMG_2800 Center front sewed exactly till the seamline.
IMG_2801 Front and back neckband were sewn together, right sides together. Trim and clip as needed before turning.
I then topstitched the center front and neckline.
The neckband is ready.
IMG_2804 After sewing the shoulder seams (careful gathering is needed, as Kay Y mentioned in her review) the neckband was attached to the front and back.

To be continued... as is my I wear what I sew series. Today it was tan linen pants with a rtw white camisole and blouse.

Comments

  1. I can't wait to see your version. I love that white/tan/black print you have chosen! I wasn't too keen on this dress but each time I see a new version it makes me want to make it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right, this is the easiest construction method for this kind of neckline. Thanks for showing it to us. And... I'm looking forward seeing the result - really like that print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great already. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.



Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Pants fitting, part 1

First, I'd like to thank all who commented on the fitting issues for my pants. I did look at Debbie's site and somehow thought it would not be the "one" answer to my problem, as I've become convinced that there is no one-step solution for me. But I think I have found part of the solution there. Tonight I spent adapting my pattern and making a muslin.






My starting point, after reading all the information was the Threads issue of January 2006, an article by Joyce Murphy Adjusting pants from waist to seat. In this article she describes "body space" as an important point in fitting pants. And it does make sense to me, as women have very different shapes. One needs more space in the front, and others (like me) more in the back.
The picture above shows the body space in my pattern, which is 15 cm. I tried to measure my own bodyspace by taking two rulers, and it is 19 cm, which means that 2 cm more is needed (half of the extra width in the pattern). The article d…