Skip to main content

BWOF 05-2008-121 finished

Tonight I managed to finish my dress. After completion of the neckline portion yesterday evening, it took me only two hours to finish it. The hem must be done, but I like to leave it for a night, so that it can set.

If you want to see larger pictures, click on them.

The sleeveband I also constructed a bit different then the BWOF instructions tell you, mainly because I wanted to use my serger and sew the sideseam and band in one pass.

What I did is:

IMG_2816 Sewed the sleeveband till the marking with a small zigzag stitch.
IMG_2818 Pinned sideseam and sleeveband, turning the seam allowance of the sleeveband outwards as much as possible.
IMG_2819 Serged the seam. The I made a small clip halfway the sleeveband part of the seam, so that one part of the seam allowance could be turned away from the other part. Then I folded the sleeveband.
IMG_2820 Topstitched on the edge of the sleeveband, and this way it was attached too.

The result: a great summer dress, that in the end was not so difficult to make.


  1. Oh, this turned out beautiful!

  2. How STUNNING! You just made me want to put this on my list!!!

  3. Very nice dress, thanks for all the tips.

  4. Terrificly flattering dress Sigrid. thanks for the great tips on construction.

  5. Your dress is lovely! And it goes so well with your shoes too :))

    And it is nice to see you taking photos of what you are wearing. It reminds us of what you have made again. Those white pants are great (a couple of posts back).

  6. Great job! You look put together and summery. Thank you for showing how you did the sleeve. I think I would have done the same thing you did - in fact I do this with all sleeve insertions for knits.

  7. I love the fabric! Another cute version of this dress.

  8. Beautiful dress! I love the fabric!

  9. Fantastic job! I like the way you constructed the sleeves and your fabric looks great on this dress! This is one of my favorite dresses and I am seriously considering maling it again on a solid teal green color, this time with the crossed over skirt! Unless I find another pattern that I like for more than 3m of teal green jersey, of course!

  10. I love this style dress! I wish I were taller to wear this dress. It is truly flattering on you. Love the sublte colors of the fabric and the contrast pieces.

  11. Sigrid .- made you a dress very nice for the summer. I love the print and this model is very pleasant to take. I want to take the skipper body to unite a skirt with ruffles and gathers, I think it would be good too. best wishes. Paco

  12. Beautiful dress - I love the colors. It is very flattering.

  13. This dress is gorgeous. i love the print and the contrast bands.

  14. This is a beautiful dress, I love how it looks on you. Great idea with the contrasting bands.

  15. Great dress, and the shoes are perfect with it!


Post a Comment

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses. If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one. Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching the si…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).