Last month I posted two patterns from which I wanted to choose the coat for this sew along. The decision is/was on the Butterick pattern for a couple of reasons
- Its style will last longer than the Vogue coat
- The sew along is a great way for me to try to sew a good fitting coat with some advanced details (with help from the experts here)
- After this experience, I'm confident that I can sew the Vogue coat on my own.
So, I decided to make Butterick 4665, with the following alterations:
- 2-piece sleeve
- welt pocket (with or without flap, depending on a test later in the process)
- bound buttonholes
Observations on the muslin:
- It feels too small, but that could also be because of the corduroy I used for the muslin. I used the right side on the inside because you don't see the markings on the right side very well. But the right side of the corduroy just doesn't go easy over my linen jacket.
- I lowered the waist by 4 cm, it's too low
- Upper back is too wide
- The sleeve could be a bit wider (the Butterick original sleeve is wider), sleeve length is OK, but because of the back being too wide, I can not see whether the sleeve will be allright.
- I don't like the style on me as much as I thought, in the front picture I think that it adds weight to me which is not there. I do have wide hips, but this suggests more, also to the upper part of my body.
- The collar is not as good on me as I hoped, perhaps I should go for a more classic style
What do you all think, should I find myself another pattern?