Saturday, June 25, 2016

The finished jacket

Exactly two weeks after I bought the fabric for the jacket, it’s finished. Probably a record for me. It was sort of typical story buying the fabric too. I went to a plant/gardening market with a friend, we both had seen a stall where we wanted to buy something for our respective gardens. In the same village, even the same street, where the market was, is also a fabric store. What does a sewing girl do? Of course, visit the fabric store (the friend is a non sewing friend, she remained outsideWinking smile. The shop is one of those very rare shops that don’t accept payment by card, only cash. I confess paying mostly by card, so my cash was limited and I had just enough to buy this fabric. The cash points at the bank were empty too, probably because of the market, so much more people than normally in that village. I ended the day with fabric and not the garden ornament I was planning to buy, as the stall owner also only accepted cash. Well, what’s more important? A picture that a friend sent last week says it all (she found it on Instagram, I don’t know the origin):

fabric shopping (1)

DSC_0462

 

DSC_0459

DSC_0447DSC_0429DSC_0420DSC_0423

 

To conclude the posts on this jacket a few pictures on cutting the lining. I did not make seperate pattern pieces for the lining, but made a few adaptions. This is a way of working that is explained in many books. The book High fashion sewing secrets by Claire Shaeffer describes this very well.

DSC_0392DSC_0393

DSC_0394

The lining is cut the same length as the jacket without seam allowance. Quite a bit of space is added to center back, to create a pleat that will give you moving space.

A little extra is added at the upper part of the side seam and the bottom of the armhole. Also the sleeves get a little extra at the bottom. Do you notice the pins sticking out? That’s to alert myself that I must not cut at the edge of the pattern piece.

I removed the area of the back facing from the lining after tracing the line.
Because I added shoulder pads I removed a bit (half the shoulder pad height) from the shoulder seam, I folded that away, tapering to nothing Of course it would be good to make separate pattern pieces, but for a jacket that’s just for me and I’m making it this works.

I bagged the lining (completely stitched in by machine) and left an opening center back to be able to turn the jacket. After I found this method  when I returned to sewing for myself about 10 years ago I was surprised how easy that method is. I might take photos of that process next time.

That’s it for this jacket, quite a few steps, a lot of photos to share. Thank you for reading, the kind comments and have a very nice weekendSmile.

30 comments:

  1. That jacket looks spectacular. I love the cut and the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOhh wat is dit een mooi jasje, zou ook echt iets voor mij zijn..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is beautiful. I love the lines and color on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that lining is perfect! It really is a lovely jacket. Well done :) I am in the process of putting together a coat I cut out 2 years ago. Not so fast here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely jacket and it fits you perfectly. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful jacket! It's a really pretty color on you and the fit is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fit is perfect! Great color and love the bright lining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The color is gorgeous and the fit is impeccable! Beautiful workmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have watched your journey with this jacket - impeccable sewing and tailoring.
    Gorgeous fabric and stunning lining. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sigrid the jacket is beautiful and fits wonderfully. That cartoon is life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sigrid, this jacket is truly perfection! The color, the fit, the execution and oooo, that lining! It's gorgeous! Congratulations on a wonderful garment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sigrid, this is absolutely gorgeous! And it looks great on you, the fit is perfect. A question - so do you machine sew the lining in the center back after you turn the jacket, or do you hand sew? Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings. Does this sound right to you? Another impeccable project, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The color and cut of this jacket is fabulous! I just ordered some fabric from Hawthorne Fabric, Wonderland. This looks like a great way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful jacket. Thanks for sharing your process. And thanks for mentioning Claire Shaeffer's book. I have that book, but haven't looked at it thoroughly. I will now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. fantastic color and a great fit, lovely jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely jacket! I love the fit, color, and especially the little tips you gave that made such a difference. Thanks for sharing - it looks super on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful. I love the cut and the colour. thanks for giving us tips along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous jacket. It looks sensational. You did an amazing job.Good choice to buy fabric, I know how you feel. I love the cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That jacket is beautiful, Sigrid! It looks fabulous on you. And I _love_ that cartoon! I relate.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning jacket and thank you for the detailed posted, they are very much appreciated.

    Oh and that cartoon is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmmm....lovely. There are few things as nice as a new jacket. So which cartoonist has been spying on us all, do you think? Whoever it is has us all down to a tee!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous jacket - plus what everyone else said! Love the cartoon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. beautiful jacket and I love the lining

    ReplyDelete
  24. Truly magnificent, and I've enjoyed every single bit of this journey! Thanks for sharing, Sigrid!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That jacket is AMAZING! Glad you decided to buy the fabric, it's really beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely love your jacket. The lining is beautiful. I would love to see photos of how you bag the lining.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow! The coat turned out wonderfully and the fabric is gorgeous! I'm in love with the color.

    The original artist of the comic is Sarah C. Anderson, and the image you posted was a modified version of her artwork. Although original comic was about books, not fabric. Links to her site: http://sarahcandersen.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. It turne out very, very beautiful! Typical that you went for gardenstuff and came home with fabric. That happens to a lot of us I think...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful jacket in a gorgeous colour that looks really good on you. I think I would be tempted to flash the lining whenever possible too, that print is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete