Skip to main content

A week of finishing ufo’s

In the last few days I’ve been finishing 3 projects. All started in 2016 and still lingering around for one reason or another.
The first one to show here is a lace bra. My lingerie drawer has been in need for new items for quite a while now and I’ve been trying to get my bra pattern right again. I had a problem with fitting and just couldn’t get it right (obviously my body changed a bit). When I read the blog post How to add volume to your bra cup by Norma Loehr from Orange Lingerie it dawned on me that this could be the answer to the problem. And its was. I had been making my upper cup longer but what I needed more was some extra room in the cup itself.
DSC_0314
I’m ever so pleased that the lace in this bra is quite symmetrical, except for the center front (bridge). I did not want to insert a seam there with this lace.
DSC_0320
The only reason this bra was unfinished for several weeks was the fact that I missed the right colour shoulder strap. Basically it’s a staple colour, but I am short on a few supplies. Around the Christmas period I didn’t get around to going to the shop in Amsterdam and at the beginning of this week I just ordered a few meters of several off-white variations online at Lijfgoed (a Dutch shop, no English text).
DSC_0318
DSC_0322

Edit to add the pattern name: it's the Marlborough bra from Orange Lingerie.

Comments

  1. What a beautiful bra. The lace is just gorgeous and your finishing is wonderful too. I would be interested to know what pattern you use, since it looks like one I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention, it's the Marlborough pattern.

      Delete
  2. Everything about it is just fabulous, your skills are amazing, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful bra. The lace is gorgeous. Thanks for the link about the adjustment. It will be handy for the bra that I'm trialling at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful bra, Sigrid, well done. I am gathering up supplies (awfully difficult to find in Portugal), and I plan on venturing into bra making sometime soon. Your work is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very elegant and delicate. I wish I could be bothered to persevere with bra making...so many projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bras amaze me. They look high end luxury!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wat een mooi fragile en elegant bh-tje..prachtig

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and the charm in the center front is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Het is een hele mooie bh geworden, lief sexy en toch ook sjiek.
    Moet ik toch ook eens proberen om er een helemaal van kant te maken.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi from America can you give some details on the bow on the strap? I would love to recreate that for some clients if it is possible.Thank you, Lori Strout

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).