I apologize to those of you who would like to see the knock-off for the jacket. It’s not happening now. Thought the contest might be a good stimulus to make it in April.
After the muslin wasn’t quite right I gave up. I just have to get to terms with myself that this is not the kind of sewing I can do now.
On Friday night I pulled out a pattern for a summer dress: Vogue 1223
Recently I went to the Amsterdam market with my friend Valerie and bought some wonderful fabrics at good prices. For this dress I’m using a print that doesn’t do the design much justice. The muslin fabric I have was not a lot cheaper, so I just went to make it without making a muslin, hoping to make a “wearable muslin”.
I cut out size 16, the smallest size in the envelope I bought. My bust measurement is exactly the measurement in their size chart for the size 16, and I counted on the pleats in the skirt to give me enough space for my wider hips. That last part is OK, but the bust….. way too large.
The shoulder and side seams are basted with a large stitch. The order of construction is not making these seams until the lining is made too. Very good instructions for a sleeveless dress, but I wanted to get an idea of the fit before proceeding.
Pinned roughly and my hand is keeping the pinned out space down. Now it’s getting some shape instead of being a sack hanging down.
3 centimeters on each side, that’s a total of 12 centimeters (almost 5 inches) that have to be taken out!! That’s a lot.
I’m happy I basted the shoulder and sideseam to test the fit.