Skip to main content

Vogue 1223 – a summer dress

I finished the summer dress, I took out the extra width in the side seams only and it was quite good that way. Though I’m not that crazy about the pattern, even if the size would have been good in the first place.

On the right side there are long pleats that give shape to the bodice and extra space to the skirt. The pleats are there on the left front panel too, but only stitched partially.  The instructions are for sewing from the bottom and top till the large squares.


It gave a strange effect and I closed the whole pleat, which in the end would have meant the left front could have been a piece without folds.

On the picture on the envelope you can see the pleats, but I only noticed them while constructing this pattern.

The neckline is deep, also visible on the envelope, for me this is a dress now that I can't wear easily without something underneath. Not a good feature for a summer dress like this. My photographer (aka as dear daughter) took pictures with a lot of space around me, so I had to take crop quite a bit. Hence the not so large pictures. You’ll get the idea.

Other garments have been sewn in the meantime too! I’ve been productive for the first time in months. Stay tuned.




  1. Lovely dress! You did a good job of dealing with the fit issues.

  2. The dress looks great on you. Good save. Love the red shoes with it.

  3. Very pretty dress on you, Sigrid. Love how the shoes pop the whole look.

    I think I would have sewn those pleats shut as well. Maybe next time fold them out for that side and just cut a "flat" bodice?

  4. Beautiful! I love black and white prints. Maybe you can add a modesty panel instead of having to wear a camisole underneath?

  5. Beautiful! I love black and white prints. Maybe you can add a modesty panel instead of having to wear a camisole underneath?

  6. I can't see the details very well in your pictures, but the overall shape and fit of the dress are good and you look good in it too. I'm not big chested, so I normally don't worry much about low necklines, but a lot of sewing patterns lately have plunged so far that I have trouble finding a bra I can wear with them! I either need to find a comfortable specialist bra, or start raising necklines automatically when I sew.

  7. That is a very pretty summerdress. I'm glad you were able to work out the fitting-issues. They are always a challenge but make us feel proud of ourselves if we defeat them.
    The weather forecast is great so maybe you can wear it very soon.
    Looking forward to see your other garments!

  8. I second the modesty panel. The dress is super cute, so hopefully you figure out something so that you can feel comfortable wearing it! :-)

  9. Looks quite modest to me. Its a beautiful dress.


Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).