Skip to main content

Taking forever

IMG_4296

That’s how it felt like, it’s not that difficult a jacket and making it much less structured than I would normally do even makes it an relatively easy project. But having our bathroom done meant more than just having no bathroom (yeah for not having to go to the gym for a shower anymore!). I really wanted to finish the coat and accepted the tools of the builders being in my sewing room too. After the coat I was just not in the mood to sew a lot in a limited, messy (especially as it was not my mess) space. Started the jacket and then just knitted more instead of sewing.

But… the collar is done and I do plan to finish it this week, unless I decide to sew me a dress before Christmas, which is sort of in my head but still undecided.

Comments

  1. Sigrid, this is looking fabulous! Can't wait to see the result. I hope your renovations are over soon. That is the most annoying thing to deal with, and at the holidays it must be even worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might seem to be taking forever but I know it will be impeccable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might seem to be taking forever but I know it will be impeccable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, jacket looking good, but maybe you should just take a break, ignore the mess and enjoy the season. Angela
    PS - on the other hand, a new dress for the New Year .... ?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is looking very good and take your time, this time of year is madness let alone getting your bathroom worked on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is looking so beautiful and you know how perfect it will turn out when you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coming along nicely. But a new dress for Christmas would be nice too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.



Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Pants fitting, part 1

First, I'd like to thank all who commented on the fitting issues for my pants. I did look at Debbie's site and somehow thought it would not be the "one" answer to my problem, as I've become convinced that there is no one-step solution for me. But I think I have found part of the solution there. Tonight I spent adapting my pattern and making a muslin.






My starting point, after reading all the information was the Threads issue of January 2006, an article by Joyce Murphy Adjusting pants from waist to seat. In this article she describes "body space" as an important point in fitting pants. And it does make sense to me, as women have very different shapes. One needs more space in the front, and others (like me) more in the back.
The picture above shows the body space in my pattern, which is 15 cm. I tried to measure my own bodyspace by taking two rulers, and it is 19 cm, which means that 2 cm more is needed (half of the extra width in the pattern). The article d…