Saturday, June 1, 2013
I’m pleased with the result
This is a very picture heavy post. The pictures will tell most of the story anyway. This jacket started with an e-mail from Claudia Sträters shop (sorry if you were expecting a pattern number now). One of the e-mails I will open and almost always follow the link to their website. The style of their clothes often appeal to me and I do have a few pieces in my closet as well.
I loved the lines of this jacket, but it was only sold in yellow and bright pink, not my colors at all.
Time to think about making it to a pattern. I worked on it for one evenening and threw the result in the waste paper bin. Next day I tried again, now using this OOP Vogue 1040 jacket with shoulder princess seams to start with.
Combining it with the center front and lapel from this Burda jacket.
This draft made it to a muslin, based on which I decided to alter the roll line of the lapel and the back still had a bit too much flare.
Part of the pattern drafting:
These were only the pieces for the body part, not the sleeves.
At this point I was very enthousiastic about it and had to leave it alone for going on holiday. Couldn’t wait to continue after I returned.
The finished result. Photo’s show more irregularities than shown in real life. I’m very, very pleased with this jacket. Valerie (a sewing friend) heard it in my voice on the phone yesterday. There were some judgement calls during the process, the seam ripper was used but nothing stopped me of enjoying the process and the result. Next project will be a little less complex I think.