Skip to main content

Adapted muslin

I made a few changes to the muslin and it’s looking and feeling better in general, less snug. Not completely there yet, though I think I’m close.


The front: I took out the diagonal seam at bust height, but a bit too much above the bust. At the right side I’ve made a slit and added some fabric. That is no improvement.

I’ve indicated the welt pockets with strips of fabric, higher than I planned them earlier. With a marker I’ve indicated a little change in the diagonal seam, both at the bottom and at the top. How difficult to mark the garment when looking in a mirror!

Front of the sleeves is OK. I’ve put in the thin shoulder pads I intend to use.

The back: On the right side I’ve sewn the sleeve at the seamline of the pattern. On the left side I’ve changed the armscye and took out some space, more at the bottom of it, tapering to nothing to the shoulder point. Should I take out more or should I keep the extra ease for moving? Do you agree that the left side is better than the right?

The extra space added to the right, not improving.

This side looks better. Should I add more space at bust level?

I’ve added an extra centimeter to the sleeve length just to be sure, 2.5 cm instead of my normal 1.5 with Burda. The extra centimeter is too much.


  1. It's looking good Sigrid. The left armscye looks just right to me.

  2. Your left side looks better front and back. The right bust seems to have too much fabric in the wrong place yet still a bit tight across the bust. I think maybe some more out of the armscye at the bottom. But that depends on how you like your jackets to feel. The length is looking good too. I love jackets like this - fitted and with nice seaming :)

  3. That muslin is going to lead to a great looking jacket.

  4. The left back is better than the rt, but I think that the sleeve needs reshaping in the back. The seam needs to be closer to the crease of your arm I think. It certainly works if it is more comfortable like this.
    I agree with Vicki, that there seems to be shaping in the wrong place for you. I do like the style. It's a very flattering style for you. The right length and proportions for you.

  5. gosh I can see where you are going with this jacket and its going to look lovely

  6. I agree with Nancy about the left armscye

  7. That's going to be a great jacket! I agree with an fba. And also with what's been said about the left arm scye. You may want to add what you take to the sleeve though. How is it right now when you use your arms, is that ok? I can't see if what you took from the arm scye has already been added to the sleeve. So try to see how much you need to change (if any) the sleeves by moving your arms and if it's not getting restricted.

  8. This is a great jacket style. The left side definitely looks to fit better.


Post a Comment

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses. If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one. Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching the si…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).