Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Active wear

The gym pants and top are finished. Some detail pictures have to be done again, as they were not good enough to publish. My sports bra was in the washing machine, therefor a normal one underneath.

The contest on Pattern Review was a good motivation to make these kind of garments. I have never done that before. I like the result, but prefer another kind of sewing. I plan to sew a jacket to go with this set, but not sure whether I’ll finish that before the deadline of January 31. Being under continuous stress of deadlines for work, I just don’t want to put a deadline on my sewing. If I get it done, fine, if not, there will be other contests to participate. I wasn’t doing it to win, but it worked well to start me on this.

   

 

 

For another top I would say the back needed adjustment, for this gym top it’s ok as it is. The armhole might be a bit high, probably from stretching the binding a bit too much there. I used a variation of Kay Y’s technique for the binding, but used only 3 layers and worked from the front to the back). Next time I would do it different, as the topstitching is not very visible, because the stitches disappear partly in the fabric, as this is cut in the length of the fabric. This is one of the pictures that was not good).

For those in the Netherlands: I ordered my supplex fabric from Pixie. Good quality and quick delivery is my experience. It feels like the same quality fabric as my rtw gym pants. Only don’t wash a colored fabric with white the first time! I was so stupid to do that (my mind must have been elsewhere to trust that it wouldn’t harm) and the white is now  not so white anymore, but not pink enough to think that it should be , bummer). I’ll probably dye it in a darker color.

20 comments:

  1. What a wonderful job you did with this outfit. Thanks for sharing your supplier and washing precautions, too. I've had a couple of disappointing items from a supplier of spandex that didn't deal in quality gear. Those leggings are still fading after 5 years LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh these look great! I love that you made the top's side panel in red - I should try that! Oh, and it's not just you - I found the armscye to be uncomfortably high on this top, too (especially for exercise where you need full arm movement).

    Oh, and Pennine Outdoor are a UK company, but they stock Supplex (in black only), too, just to add that to the options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a wonderful job on this outfit! It looks prefect. I like the red stripe detail on the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Very impressive..
    Many thanks for the supplex supply link. And, ahem, I generally prefer to keep my sweaty sewing simpler, if you see what I mean. It works just a well, so don't get too discouraged...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking active wear outfit. It may seem silly, but I am more motivated to exercise when I have some appropriate and well fitting active wear like yours, to do it in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need some nice looking work out gear too! If you go to the gym or exercise at home looking good while you do it is a huge ego boost. Yours look good enough for the gym.
    I like that you made the side panel and trim in red for a nice rtw touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT job, I was just telling DH that I will be needing some workout clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These work out clothes look smart ,well made and nicely fitting. Very unlike most RTW! This is quite inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks very nice - very professional. I know I work out more often when I have nice, new workout clothes to wear. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, very inspiring - great work - too good to sweat in - you should just walk around in these and pose!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great Sigrid, love the red trim details. If I ever find a local source of good quality workout fabric I am going to buy a boatload, most of it must be made in China lets face it so there must be some here in HK somewhere! Decent workout gear is so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sigrid, you look very well coordinated and sporty in this. Hey, de Kruidvart sells Rit dye remover, you can try it out to see if it will remove the pink blush over your whites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the red trim! This is a very smart set and looks highly professional.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this set - so much nicer than what I see at the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a great workout suit. Not to mention you look terrific and very toned to model it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! The black and red are a nice combination. New workout gear is so motivating!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can I order my outfit with you :-), love it! Thanks for sharing the pixie adress, it's new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great workout outfit! I like the use of color blocking. Too bad the Supplex faded on you. I have been lucky with Supplex thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hai Sigrid,

    I found your blog in our webstats.
    Your outfit looks very nice!!

    Thanks for sharing our website link!!!

    Miranda van Driel
    PIXIE BODYWEAR
    WWW.THEPIXIESHOP.NL
    WWW.TWITTER.COM/PIXIEBODYWEAR

    ReplyDelete