Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Knip mode blouse

Thank you all for your kind comments on my dress. It really was a special project to work on. And in answer to a comment from Cidell, I don’t think American church services are very different from here, the wedding I attended was in an Armenian (not American) church. This means that it has more old catholic traditions like the eastern part of Europe.

Last week I made this Knip mode blouse from the March issue (no. 107), mostly a simple summer blouse. Hope the weather will get better, till now it’s been too cold here to wear a top with short sleeves.

The uneven plaids gave me difficulties. You might know I’m the matchy-matchy type when sewing with plaids or stripes. On the other hand I didn’t want to spend a day on the cutting of this top, so I did my best not to match all. I started matching the darker lines, but then decided against it and made the white parts match. In the end the result is that though I tried not to match, a few lines almost match, which to me means “not cut right”. the not matching dark lines catch my eye. It’s ok, it’s ‘only’ a summer blouse, not a jacket with hours and hours of work, and most people (not sewing) will not notice at all.

The review is here. I might sew more Knip Mode patterns in future, at the moment their patterns are inspiring me more than BurdaStyle does. I even cancelled my subscription to BurdaStyle. It’seasily available in every supermarket, so I decided only to buy when it has patterns to my taste. Last months there were not a lot of patterns that attracted me, and usually I don’t sew a lot from summer issues anyhow.

18 comments:

  1. SWhat a lovely summery blouse. I think the decision to match the white created a lovely pattern, with the blocks alternating.

    Like you said, even in the front it's not very noticeble if your not a seamstress. Even as a seamstress, the only thing that caught my eye after reading your post about it not matching was the placet. (and I only noticed that after reading the post) Ít's a lovely summerblouse, and I'm tempted to make the dress from a nice linnen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely blouse, perfect for summer indeed! And I, as a seamstress, really didn't notice the not-matching. But then again, I'm less of a matchy-matchy person than you obviously are ;-)

    En ik zie nu pas dat ik ook in het Nederlands kon schrijven :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Ok. Do you see how US Centerd I am? And, how I read WAY too fast? I saw 'American'. LOL. Thank you for the clarification!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, summery blouse. It's a good style for you and if it ever warms up it will be cool and comfortable. I like how you handled the plaid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty blouse, the fabric is perfect for summer. I have only been buying Burda when I can see the patterns for myself and decide if I want it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a great summer blouse - perfect color and style. I understand about the matching thing - it would have been hard for me not to consciously match it. I do like that bias effect, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigrid ~ I like the blouse and didn't notice the dark lines didn't match until you said something!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blouse. The colours are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blouse, I think the ay you have used the plaid is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhhh I love your play on plaid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your top is just lovely. What a great pattern and you've made it beautifully.
    The uneven plaid matching doesn't stand out at all, I love the bias effect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic looking blouse! And I love the way you aligned the plaids, I think it worked out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely! I really like the bias plaid. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a bit late with my comment but I want to say that your blue dress has turned out very, very beautiful! Real Parisian-Chic.
    It's nice to see this blouse made up. I have my eyes on it as well (even have seen the perfect fabric for it) but I haven't decided yet. Yours turned out very nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Matching plaids drives me crazy, so I'm not super matchy matchy about them. I think you did an excellent job on the main body pieces, and the few places the plaids don't match do not really draw the eye. I like the blouse!

    Also, you can get Burda in any supermarket??? Jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's beautiful. The pattern is lovely. It looks cool and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the look of the plaid on the back pieces with the yoke. It looks great!
    Keep up your great work--it is
    inspiring and motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sigrid,
    I agree with your comment about Knipmode, I've been subscribing for about 3 years now and I think the most recent editions are full of lovely designs!! I especially like the May and June issues.

    ReplyDelete