Tuesday, October 17, 2017

A drafting experiment

The dress I made was cut on the bias and as a result I had a bit of fabric left. It inspired me to sew this top as experiment for rotating darts out to the neckline and create tucks. It’s a style I don’t use as in commercial patterns there is usually so much ease around the bust added that I I feel it makes me look huge. Still I wanted to try this. The result is better than I hoped because no extra ease is added at bust height. Not the very best style on me but wearable.

IMG_5841 (002)

PA170984

PA170982

I made the shoulder seam with the instructions from Sara Alm’s Craftsy class Facings and linings. Very neat method. Definitely a good alternative to the way I used before.

PA170986

For those interested the pattern drafting phases. The shoulder, armhole and bust dart are rotated out, creating space at the new tuck lines.

IMG_5819

IMG_5821

IMG_5822IMG_5823

In the end I did not sew the waist dart.

To conclude a first picture of my next project. Pattern pieces cut and block-fused. It’s a souvenir fabric I bought a few years ago in New York. At the time I thought I would make a Chanel-style jacket of it, but I’m not really wanting one any more. It will be a short coat. More on that later.

PA170979

6 comments:

  1. Interesting experiment! I like the resulting top with those nicely spaced tucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This experiment worked well...it is a lovely top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Rotating darts really is an easy way to get something interesting and stylish. I have two tops where I did the same thing, only I sewed darts to the outside. So much more interesting than side darts are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to try this! I also have to do an FBA on patterns and sometimes my side darts are insanely big/cumbersome and now seeing yours I'm inspired. I never would have thought to do it as you've done here with the spread over 4 pleats across the shoulder. I'm bookmarking this great tutorial! thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the top and perfect to wear with a jacket. Glad to hear it worked out as expected.

    ReplyDelete

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!