Thursday, August 21, 2014

Copy from RTW

This summer I bought my first bra in what must be over 10 years. Since I started making my own bras, I only bought sports bras and made all the “regular” ones myself. I went to a shop to buy a new sports bra and then I saw this one. I tried it on, it looked good and fitted very well. End of story: it went home with me. It’s a Freya bra and I wear it regularly, it’s very comfortable. (the picture is from the web, not me)

image

My bra making journey started because it was so difficult to find good fitting bra’s in my size: I’m full busted but have a narrow frame. According to most size charts I’m a C80 and a bra measurement tool from one of our countries lingerie selling stores even puts me in the B85 size range. Those sizes don’t fit me. It’s more like E75 or F70 that is the right fit for me. Which might sound huge, and perhaps it is, but it does not feel that way. A bra that fits well does make you feel good, no matter the letter/number in the size. Though it’s more easy to find bras in my size now, they usually are in the higher price range (or maybe I’m picky).

Loving the shape and the fit I wouldn’t be me if I wouldn’t try to copy this bra. I used silk organza to trace the parts of and then transferred them to paper, checked the seamslines and trued them where necessary.

In the past days I didn’t feel like sewing other then the bra, the weather here is like we plunged into fall (it’s cold and rain showers that give the feeling of it being October), I’m inclined to start winter sewing. This is the result of my copy from RTW:

19 comments:

  1. Another beautiful addition to your lingerie drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wauw,this is what I want to do too.I'm a 70E so I have th same problems you're having.Where do you buy your supplies some,cause it's proving a nightmare to find everything

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - your bra sewing is always so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two beautiful bras! Love the fabric of the one you made – appropriate to your comments about the weather. It looks as if raindrops are illuminated on a dark windowpane. How thrilling to find something that fits and is beautiful and because of your skills you can replicate many times over. Love seeing what you do with your lingerie.
    The skirt is beautiful but yikes! what a pattern. A fitting nightmare. You have more courage than I do.
    Vancouver Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies.
    @Creati(e)ve m(i)e: For this set most of the materials are from Merckwaerdigh (a Dutch lady selling through Ebay and Etsy). She and the shop Kantje Boord in Amsterdam are my favorite places to buy lingerie fabric and notions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to be able to copy a well fitting bra. It makes sense-we copy other clothing, why not a bra? Beautiful lingerie really makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your copy is spot on and I love love love it! I have one in my drawer that I'd like to copy...its the material that holds me back. It has one layer,haven't seen the fabric in my local fabric shopping or even in NYC. Its strong and no stretch...I love how your blog makes me want to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful bra, all of yours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great!
    Like all your bras, it looks so well made. And what would make more sense than to copy a bra which fits you well?
    From my experience (both dabbling in bra making and selling bridal lingerie) I know that lingerie sizing can be incredibly complicated and many women don't have a clue what size they are. I've met you in person and if I were to guess a size (size guessing was a normal part of the bridal job), I would definitely agree with you.

    P.S. For months, I thought I somehow couldn't comment on your blog anymore. I've just found out that some sites have that problem if I go there via Bloglovin and not if I visit them directly.
    So, I think I owe some compliments on bras you made earlier this year. And some other things as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job and why not copy a well fitting one. I just bought a bra from the 2nd hand shop to copy. The cups fit great but wearing it the wires dig in so I may have to wear it again to see why. I think I am about the same size... small frame too. I tried on about 40 bras a few weeks ago and not one fit even close to well. I did end up buying two that the cups fit well but the band is too big and will tighten that up. But in the hope of getting a well fitting bra I will attempt to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the RTW bra (very pretty) and your knock off too.

    the weather has changed here too - also not too much rain but definitely cooler - nice and sunny today but with a cool air...hubby off sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the way the black and white emphasises the lovely lines of the bra you made are very nice, and must be very flattering.

    I'm getting inspiration for making my own lingerie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I am always so impressed with your bra making skills. One of these days..........

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sewn bra is as pretty as the Freya one. Great job and so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic work, this is one area where sewing can really save money! I have a few Freya bras, sports bras and swimwear and they are all excellent so if you can copy those you are onto a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love , love, love your lingerie!

    I would be sooo proud If i could make a copy of a bra.I' m in the same situation, small frame , big boobs!
    Bravissimo is my favorite shop but big bra's are expensive.
    Do you have an adress for a course or are you an autodidact? By the way , i live in Maastricht , nl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sigrid what pattern did you use for your bra? I have been testing a few patterns as well and I have a bra making group on Facebook if you like to join.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty! Two bras and a new pattern!

    ReplyDelete