Sunday, January 23, 2011

A dress – again

Thank you for your suggestions on my fabric choice. I will sew it next week, and decide then what to do.
You might know that I’m not sewing dresses often, and now I’ve sewn my second dress within two months. It’s number 12 from the Knip Mode February issue.
 

I love to wear the blue knit dress I made end of November, and thought it would be nice to sew this one. Suggested are “step by step intructions” in the center of the magazine, but these are not there. I could have used them. I made a Jalie twist top a long time ago, and thought I would sew the front in an hour or so (ever optimistic). The first evening I pinned in several different ways and didn’t get it. Concluding I was too tired to understand it, I left it. But even at the second attempt it took me quite a bit of time to grasp what was intended.

ETA: when I was looking for the instructions on the Knip mode website, there were none (last weekend), now they are here. Thanks Margreet for mentioning this. I used my normal size 40 for the upper part, tapering down to size 42/44 at hip height, which gave me perfect fit, no other changes).

Might have been me, but for those of you who might want to make this dress, this is how the notches come together. The yellow arrow indicates the opening.
  1. Fold the cut on facing at the neckline of the front (on the shoulder there is a marking where to fold)
  2. Sew the center front seam (the small vertical part in pattern part 1)
  3. Sew upper front to skirt part till center front
    This is where I got confused, it’s the red dots on my picture that have to be sewn together
  4. Fold right side of upper right part together, matching (blue) notches and stitch till notch (near the yellow arrow), leaving an opening
  5. From the right side, pull the left upper part through the opening and sew together
  6. After this it’s as easy as sewing a t-shirt


And finally:  the result of the dress on me:
     

The neckline is as low as shown in the magazine, so I’m wearing a camisole unterneath.

30 comments:

  1. mooi stofje, ik ben gek op dit soort jurkjes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should wear dresses more often, they look wonderful on you ! This is great pattern. Your fabric is lovely and so joyfull !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a beautiful job and the dress looks and fits great! Ah love the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice twist dress and so flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely dress , you really suit dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous dress. I love vivid colors like this on black. The twist front is a cool design feature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Sigrid, that is a knockout dress. I just love the fabric. Combined with the pattern, it is fantastic.
    well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what it is - I looked at the dress again and I noticed how the print flows from the sleeves to the bodice. The way you matched the fabric is brilliant.
    I wish I could have the same fabric and sew the same dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leuke jurk!!! De uitleg die ontbreekt in het blad staat trouwens op de Knip site. Heb je je normale maat gemaakt (op Sancho staat dat hij groot/breed valt?).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Margreet, dank je wel. Stond er nog niet toen ik dat vorig weekend bekeek. Wel handig dat ze dat nu toegevoegd hebben.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely and I like this pattern. It's flattering and looks comfortable enough to lounge around in but nice enough to go out in. But you make me laugh when you say you could have used step by step instructions. I am an absolute dunce when it comes to twist tops! I can never seem to get them right unless I make as you did careful markings and even then I get in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful, happy, but winter appropriate fabric. Nice job on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you look stunning! I love this dress on you. The line drawing looked fussy to me so I didn't buy the issue, but a twist with an empire line--what a good idea. It would convert to a maternity pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nicely done. I love the swirling purple print and find knit dresses so wearable in the cooler months.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty!!! It looks fantastic on you Sigrid!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty dress, the fabric is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely dress in a really great fabric. You should make dresses more often!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a fabulous dress! Love the print and the fit is, as always, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The dress looks great! Looks gorgeous and fashionable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great looking dress! That fabric is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have this on my "to do" list and even have the fabric washed and ready to go! It looks great on you. I have made several twist tops from an OOP Simplicity pattern with excellent instructions on how to do the twist so I hope this will help me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with all the others. This dress is very flattering on you! Your choice of fabric particularly suits the pattern too. I've never tried a twist top pattern. The look confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had to go out and buy this issue, thanks to your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous! The pattern piece which bends back on itself kinda reminds me of that gathered top from April 2008 that I made so many times! Thanks for going through the construction, it's really helpful.

    and I'm finding I'm wearing my December knit dress ALL the time, too! It's just so comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is a fun dress! I like it in either choice of fabric. Twist tops can be a bit unusual to figure out, but somehow they always seem to come together in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this dress Sigrid, looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. made this one as well, or not exactly this one but a similar one shown in a Knip not long ago. Had a bit of trouble to fit the twisted parts so they wouldn't "sag". Looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete