Tuesday, October 9, 2018

A knitted sweater

At the beginning of August I showed you a knitted sweater in progress. I finished it a couple of weeks ago and I’m ever so pleased with it. The base was a pattern by Asa Tricosa, but my version doesn’t resemble the original much. It’s mainly used for the general shape, number of stitches, increases/decreases etc. Center front I added a cable from the book Japanese Knitting Stitch Bible: 260 Exquisite Patterns by Hitomi Shida. At the sides I repeated the small cable at the edge.

I love the technique that Asa Tricosa has developed, which she calls the “Ziggurat” method. It’s knitting top-down and with very clever techniques you knit the top of the sleeve in one pass with the body too. A way in which you can try it on in an early stage too and adapt for fit more easily. My fear in knitting sweaters was always that I would spend hours and hours (far more time than most sewing projects take) and after assembly would find out that it was not fitting. If you’ve been reading my blog for a little while you know I can be obsessive about fit Winking smile. I’ve found a technique that suits me very well and have two more garments on the needles from her book

The book has many projects with lovely details that have a huge appeal to me, like this double knitted hem. Isn’t it a lovely detail? It’s a bit like nice underwear: you know it’s there, even if no one sees it.

The annual sewing retreat in the UK with a group of friends is next week, I’m preparing a coat and a jacket to sew. Sewing projects will be shown here again soon .

13 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous and I love the little hem detail. I had a look at her patterns on her website.. all things I love to wear.. alas I don't knit but that may entice me! Summerflies Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the styles are lovely. Perhaps someone else can knit for you?

      Delete
  2. This is a very timely post, Sigrid. I have been looking at her patterns on ravelry, and it's nice to hear that you find them workable. This sweater is lovely! Surely this is not your first sweater?! I love your original details. Now, I guess I will have to buy the book. Consider yourself an enabler, but a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try it if you've been admiring the patterns already. I started with buying just the one pattern, but wanted the book as soon as I was knitting this one.
      And no, it's not my first sweater. I've knitted a few more since I started knitting again a few years ago. Have been exploring techniques and this is the best yet.

      Delete
  3. This is awesome.!
    Work like this makes me want to lean to knit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And perhaps it's worthwhile learning to knit? I find it lovely to do during a break, waiting somewhere or just watching television.

      Delete
  4. I like your sweater very much and am now tempted to sew one up. I used to knit when I was younger, but have stayed away from sweater because, like you said, I was afraid to put a lot of work into a sweater that might not fit at the end. So this method is very appealing. I have taken a look at the Asa Tricosa base sweater pattern you link to, but the necklines of the pattern seems a lot wider than yours. Is this only my imagination or do you refer to another pattern for the neckline?
    Joanne in Montreal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did change the neckline too. I did knit the neckline of the body as per pattern, but changed it to a diffirent style when actually knitting the neckline itself, I think it looks a bit less wide by using a different style neckline.

      Delete
  5. Your sweater is a beautiful colour and wonderful piece of work. The Ziggurat method looks intriguing and she has some nice patterns. Thanks for the introduction to her work – it's always nice to learn something soinnovative. I envy your sewing retreat. Say hi to the ladies for me. I'll be in London from the 16th to the 26th. Any chance for a meetup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence Barbara that we are in the UK at the same time. Some of us might go to the fabric market in Walthamstow one of those days. Most likely October 16 or 17. But it all depends on how we feel about making the trip, as it's a bit of a distance from where we are. I'll send you an email when I know more.

      Delete
  6. great sweater. It's a beautiful color

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sigrid, beetje late reactie maar dat komt omdat ik blog tegenwoordig op mijn telefoon lees en daar worden de reacties die ik als WordPress blogger maak niet gepubliceerd bij Blogger dat jij gebruikt. Nu heb ik net zelf een blog op de pc geschreven en dan kan ik bij jou gelijk even reageren. Het is een erg leuke trui geworden. Ook met breien sta je diverse stapjes hoger dan ik. Ik ben al meer dan 10 jaar aan een vestje bezig dat ik al 4x compleet heb uitgehaald.

    ReplyDelete