Monday, September 17, 2018

Experimenting

My wardrobe needs a few t-shirts added to it and I don’t particularly like t-shirt sewing. So I experimented with some different styles to make sewing them a little more interesting.

The neckline of this one was inspired by a rtw t-shirt. As a starting point I took the very basic t-shirt pattern from Ottobre (issue 2, 2006) which I’ve used often before. Only to notice when it was finished that it didn’t fit as well any more. Too tight around the bust area to my liking. I was ready to toss it when my daugher came home and I asked whether she would like to try it on. It’s a good fit on her and she liked it. Happy result after all.

P9152037

P9162050

There was just enough of the fabric left to squeeze out a basic shirt for myself. This is one size larger and so much better! But also very, very basic/boring. On the bright side: I have a new base again.

P9152033

This last one is Valetta from Schnittquelle, a German pattern company. I made a few changes and added a facing, instead of the fold over neckline hem as per the pattern instructions. I intended this to be a shirt with 3/4 sleeves and did change and sew it up like that. In all planning and thinking about how to draft the facing for the neckling I overlooked the fact that this has cut-in shoulders and the sleeve was a horrible fit (read: not fitting at all) at the shoulders. Cut off the sleeves with 1 cm at the armhole left to be used as facing. Ready for summer next year.

P9172053

8 comments:

  1. Next year, you will be glad to find that basic all ready for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its always so satisfying to work out the kinks on a classic pattern you can use over and over. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even with the frustrations you now have a knit top pattern that you know you will be happy with. I also try and find designs to take my t-shirt up from just plain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice to have a basic tee to make changes to. I like the tee that Martine ended up with. You should try it again for yourself. The neckline is a very nice variation. I've never made anything from the German company, though I've looked at it online. There are some interesting designs. We all need basics but they do tend to be boring to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soms loopt het zo met patronen. Je hebt hoge verwachtingen van iets en het wordt niks. En soms komt een shirt dat eigenlijk mislukt is heel goed van pas bij je garderobe. Ik ben heel benieuwd of je ze veel zult dragen. Het zogenaamde saaie shirt ziet er wel perfect uit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aha! I recognise that neckline. It's looks lovely in your fabric so at least the top didn't go to waste. The neckline on the Valetta is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi to every one, it's actually a nice for me to go to see this site,
    it consists of important Information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello I have just come over your blog again after not reading it fro ages. So good to see . I hope life gets easier soon. I was wondering how you did the inserts on the shoulders of your Boat neck T shirt . I have been wanting to make one like this for ages and am very impressed with your example . Maybe it was a pattern or were you creative yourself ? M

    ReplyDelete