Tuesday, August 7, 2018

A knitting project

I’ve been in doubt about writing about my knitting projects as my blog has always been about sewing and only very occasionally I mention other subjects. But well, as it is my blog I’d like to share my knitting projects too and if knitting is not what you like to read about, this post is not for you.

I learned knitting as a child, did a lot of knitting in the 80’s and knitted nothing for about 20 years after my children were born. I wanted to knit for them, but when a sweater was already almost too small when I finished it, I stopped doing it completely as there simply was not enough time to do all I wanted to do with young children around.

Fast forward to about 4 or 5 years ago. At the time I was offered a free Craftsy class as a birthday present (they only did it that one time), but it had to be a knitting class. I took a class on lace knitting and I liked it that much, that knitting was part of what I did again. Mostly shawl knitting. I liked the techniques, the more complicated the better. Is there a relation to my sewing?? And shawls had the great advantage that size/gauge/tension didn’t matter. It takes more time to knit a garment than to sew one and I was so afraid that after hours and hours of work, a sweater wouldn’t fit.

But…. after I knitted quite a few shawls the thought came up: how many do you need? So at some point I dived into knitting sweaters again. I haven’t done many yet but like the top-down method where you can fit as you go.

Currently I’m knitting Sweatrrr. The technique is top-down, with knitting the top of the sleeves at the same time too. It’s called the Ziggurat method. When I found this technique, I had to try it and even though this is my first sweater in this technique, I’m already so convinced that I bought the recently published book too. (disclaimer: I have no affiliation to the designer, have bought my own copy of the book, I’m just very happy with the result)

I wouldn’t be me if I would not change something, so instead of the squares in the front and back, I added a Japanese stitch pattern center front. The back is plain stocking stitch.

P8071792P8071795

Can you believe that the top of this sleeve was knitted at the same time as the top of the body? Fascinating isn’t it? There’s still a little jog but that’s my fault, knitting this way for the first time.

It will take more time than the average sewing project, but I’ll show you the result at some point.

6 comments:

  1. I am fascinated by knitting projects. I too no longer knit because after hours of work I don't care to have something that doesn't fit properly. The top-down styles of a few years ago did not interest me, but I will be following your adventures with this method -- it has piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't knit due to my hands but I miss it! And I love seeing hand knits and love hearing about sewers who knit! :)

    That sweater is looking really good and the color is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous colour. The top down method sounds intriguing and I look forward to seeing your finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stopped knitting and crocheting many years ago because of the pain in my right hand. But I remember how fun it was and frustrating in the beginning. I learned how to knit top down sweaters and cardigans and I don't follow any patterns anymore. I did crocheted a cardigan for my daughter and I continue to add more rows as she grows to make the cardigan longer and the front panels wider 😂. Also socks are a necessity here, and I just want to repair them. Top down knitting is the best! Will be watching your knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful color and the style is lovely . I love the stitch panel cf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you've made some great choices in yarn and pattern. I follow that designer's ravelry group and think they really enjoy the freedom of expression that is encouraged by the designs. It makes sense to me that someone who learns about achieving good fit in sewing will also find this process for good fit appealing. I have her patterns in my queue.
    Have fun with your knitting! Miriam

    ReplyDelete