Saturday, January 13, 2018

Hilarious description

05811F5A-C6AA-48D2-9135-5EDB7DC62019 (002)

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.

I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.

Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).

16 comments:

  1. Ha, yes! It is a cute top but I don't think I want to work out in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d be scared I would hook myself to every doorhandle and handlebars I passed! Maybe for yoga or tai chi?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny! The English edition is different - I guess some editor noticed that oddity. It just says "Proof that sporty shirts can also be stylish and fun. This design features a cut out in back. A practical detail: a hole for them in the sleeves." Fairly straightforward, but less interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny that the wordings are so different! I do want to make this top, but it won't be for gym wear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed hilarious.... if you are looking for some good patterns for active wear please visit te site of http://blog.fehrtrade.com/gallery/4668/the-sew-your-own-activewear-vest-top/ who wrote a nice book about it. On the website are several sewing techniques for sports fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Melissa and her blog Fehr trade. Gym clothes are not on my top priority list to sew though, good fabric is very expensive so till now I mostly buy my gym/running clothes.

      Delete
  6. Now I'm curious to see what they say in Italian! Will report back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also will tell you how it is in the Hungarian edition, just for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The English translator has been true to the German text, it's the Dutch who messed this up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only sport for this top is the lounging sort, will be very interested to read the other translations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so funny. The English version is very ordinary, though I can't imagine anyone wearing this for a serious workout.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In German it says what it says in English, but that raises a question: Has the Dutch translator previously done their work out in wovens, if they consider bunched up fabric in the back (pilates anyone?) an improvement in comfort?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Swedish translations are often done in very old fashion language. I like this top but Think it´s more of a yoga style than gym and I Think it´ll look great in merino also

    ReplyDelete